1st Post - 1st Pg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canislupus

Reaction score
First of all, sorry if my English is not the good it has to be.

This is my first post here. I'm very new in the brewing at home, but I want to try some recipe with extract malt and special grain.

Could you check the recipe I post to validate if it could be something tasty? It pretend to be an IPA but I don't know. I have collected the recipe from the web (I don't remember where and made very little changes).

The Nelson Sauvin hope will be for Dry Hoping.

Thank you very much, I found this forum very interesting.

2012_03_15_161041.png

I'd drop the dextrose back by half or leave it out completely, will thin your beer a little, not what you want for style.
Replace it with more malt if you want the higher alc content.

Other than that it looks ok to me.

I'm no expert, but I brewed a few extract recipes with LDME using basically the same recipe and found that you need a good whack of dextrose to counter act the lower attenuation you get from the DME.

You could try dropping the dex a bit but I think it would turn out ok as is. Looks good to me. ;)

I'll try then. Maybe changing dry malta extract for liquid?, I'm not sure it will be very different.

Thank you both guys

I'd replace the 30min addition with a 15min (or 10min addition) - trying to keep the IBU about the same.

Chinook is a good bittering hop which may be a bit overpowering in the late additions. Similarly crystal is an aroma hop which might be wasted in the 60min addition. Not sure NS would go well with those other hops - have you considered dry hopping the crystal?

Replacing dried malt with liquid won't do anything if you get the ratio's right (1kg liquid extract = 0.8kg dried extract in terms of fermentables).

Increase the crystal to 400 or 500g, increase the dried malt by 400g and decrease the dextrose to 300g.

After being quite happy with the recipe, due to availability of hops where I buy the brewering stuff I have substitute the Chinook and Cristal hops for Columbus and Hallertauer, I'm sure it will be different but the question is: it will be good?

I've made some changings following your advice.

I think I will try Nelson Sauvin for dry hopping.

What do you thing? Is this a Stupid recipe and hope substitution?

Thank you very much.

2012_03_16_165931.png

Several parts of your recipe seem a little mixed up to me. (only my opinion though).

If it was me, id drop the 30min, and 15min columbus additions. Will still leave you with 46 IBU's which at that gravity should be plenty.

Id definitely scale the nelson sauvin back by around half...a little goes a long way with that hop. Try 1g per litre.

The hops also seem way out of style in my opinion too. Hersbrucker and nelson sauvin arent usually found in IPA's.

Maybe the best way to go with your situation, is until youre comfortable with recipe creation and ingredients and styles, maybe give us a list of beers youd like to make yourself, and someone here will no doubt be able to give assistance to make that beer.

Then for future recipes you can just alter it a bit each time to get a feel for things.

What do you like drinking, what do you want to make? Brands?

Several parts of your recipe seem a little mixed up to me. (only my opinion though).

If it was me, id drop the 30min, and 15min columbus additions. Will still leave you with 46 IBU's which at that gravity should be plenty.

Id definitely scale the nelson sauvin back by around half...a little goes a long way with that hop. Try 1g per litre.

The hops also seem way out of style in my opinion too. Hersbrucker and nelson sauvin arent usually found in IPA's.

Maybe the best way to go with your situation, is until youre comfortable with recipe creation and ingredients and styles, maybe give us a list of beers youd like to make yourself, and someone here will no doubt be able to give assistance to make that beer.

Then for future recipes you can just alter it a bit each time to get a feel for things.

What do you like drinking, what do you want to make? Brands?

Thank you for your advice, then what do you think it will be the best recipe if you had Columbus, Hersbrucker and Nelson Sauvin? What would you do?

I'd like the hoppy beers quite sour like IPA, also Pale ale, brown ale, but I really like almost all kinds of beers.

I would like to make something not only from extract but It seems so difficult.

Any combination of that hops could make something drinkable?

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

Thank you for your advice, then what do you think it will be the best recipe if you had Columbus, Hersbrucker and Nelson Sauvin? What would you do?

With those three hops id probably do three different beers.

Im a massive nelson sauvin fan, like hersbrucker, but never used columbus.

Try this:

Base malt and carapils in a ratio of 90% / 10% to get you to 1.048 - 1.050
nelson sauvin at 30mins up to 20 ibus
Nelson sauvin at 10 mins up to 20 ibus

Ferment with Safale US05 or Danstar Nottingham at 18 deg

Mash grains at 66 for an hour.

Really easy, really tasty.

With those three hops id probably do three different beers.

Im a massive nelson sauvin fan, like hersbrucker, but never used columbus.

Try this:

Base malt and carapils in a ratio of 90% / 10% to get you to 1.048 - 1.050
nelson sauvin at 30mins up to 20 ibus
Nelson sauvin at 10 mins up to 20 ibus

Ferment with Safale US05 or Danstar Nottingham at 18 deg

Mash grains at 66 for an hour.

Really easy, really tasty.

Ok, that is what I will do, I will keep the rest for next batches and follow your recipe.

Thank you very much.

Hello,

I have folowed the recomendations of Big Nath with little modifications and today I have tasted the beer.
I'm very happy with that, is an excellent beer for me.

Thank you for the advice. :D

Back