1st Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjp

Reaction score
Hi all. been playing with ales for a while now and decided to have a crack at a pilsner. Only prob is I wont be able to get to my HBS for a while and want to use up some of what I've got. I do have another HBS close by that only does kit and extract but does have a fair assortment of yeast. Grain bill I had in mind (26l batch) was 5kg JW pilsner, 1kg JW malted wheat.These are the only light coloured grain I have at the moment other than a Trad ale but didnt think it would go with it. Main concern was what to hop with. On hand I have 200g POR(9.9%), 200g Halletau(9%)100g Fuggles(5.5%), 40g Amirillo(9%),100g Citra(11%), 100g Williamette(4.6%), 300g Motueka flowers (8%), 200g Chinook flowers(unknown%). Was thinking of the Motueka and 1 or 2 of the others. Any thoughts?

Yep Motueka or Hallertau for sure. Mind you, both the lines you have are quite high AA%, you'll probably have better luck with low- AA% noble hops in a pils. Perhaps consider a less hops- driven beer, so Munich Helles or Dunkel. Either way, keep the recipe dead simple and you will have less to untangle in the flavours when you come to crack one open- it is very useful learning.
My 2c, hope it helps! :icon_cheers:

Where do you get 9% Hallertau?!
No brand names on the bag. Just says "Halletau Aroma 9.0%AA" NZ. I guess its from NZ. Bought it Awhile ago. Havnt used any as yet so cant comment.

Back