1st & Last Dry Hop Attempt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normell

Winter's Flat's #1 Brewer, now that XXXX have move
Reaction score
Put a sazz plug into pilsner secondary cube about a week ago, when transferring to the keg today, all the hop leaves decided to go into the keg as well.
Is this the normal thing to happen, if so I'll have a lot of hops to give away.
Do you have to put the hops into a bag or something. (I use 1 of those Bunnings water containers, so it would be hard to use a hop bag) ??
Do you have to filter. ??
Will I have problems pouring the beer from the keg. ??
C'mon guys tell me where I'm going wrong, convince me to keep dry hopping, or give me your address as to where I can send the un used hops to.

Normell

Normell.

All a case of "depends" if you've got more than a few leaves carrying over into your keg you may experience a blocked dip tube. :ph34r:

Firstly dryhopping a Pilsner is probably not a good thing. The Saaz flavour you're looking for will most likely be a little bit weedy for a few weeks. I would have just made my late additions in the kettle more prominent.

If you want to dry hop next time I'd suggest getting some muslin or cheesecloth hopbags. Either that or boil a stocking leg until the dye has completely run out (change the water a couple of times) and put your plug in that. When they uncompress they can get quite messy. <_< If you're using a cube cube as a secondary maybe eliminating the plug altogether would be a good thing.

Hope it all goes OK for you.

Warren -

Put a sazz plug into pilsner secondary cube about a week ago, when transferring to the keg today, all the hop leaves decided to go into the keg as well.
Is this the normal thing to happen, if so I'll have a lot of hops to give away.
Do you have to put the hops into a bag or something. (I use 1 of those Bunnings water containers, so it would be hard to use a hop bag) ??
Do you have to filter. ??
Will I have problems pouring the beer from the keg. ??
C'mon guys tell me where I'm going wrong, convince me to keep dry hopping, or give me your address as to where I can send the un used hops to.

Normell

Norm,

hop leaves in your keg spells disaster, takes very little to block the outlet valve.
Get yourself an auto syphon, these are cheap & will stop the hop leaves, otherwise a bit of net curtain over the end of your transfer tube, or one of GMK's inline hop filters will do the job admirally as well.

cheers Ross.

FWIW I generally use the small hop bags in the 2ndry when I dry hop and although they are a bit of a tight fit (esp getting them out). Does the job nicely.

Alternatively have you tried syphoning? I find this leaves the majority of the hops behind if using plugs or flowers.

Cheers

Norm,

I agree with Warren, lagers are not generally dry hopped - I'd be adding the hops at flame out - A smoother hoppiness, especially with Saaz...

cheers Ross

FWIW I generally use the small hop bags in the 2ndry when I dry hop and although they are a bit of a tight fit (esp getting them out). Does the job nicely.

Alternatively have you tried syphoning? I find this leaves the majority of the hops behind if using plugs or flowers.

Cheers
So Shonky, I take it that you break up the plug, put into the bag, then push it into the cube.
Was thinking of doing the "hop tea" method, but was told to steer away from this.
I had leaves/flowers floating top & bottom, every bloody where, hurry up Ross & get some of those filters into your shop, and I'll filter from now on.
Most of my brews are lazy brews, IE ESB fresh wort brews, so don't have such things as flame out.
To say I'm bloody frustrated is an understatment :angry:

Normel

Get a GMK In _line Filter - goto bunnings and buy a 13mm inline Irrigation filter and 13mm Rain water hose - 1m.
Under 10.00.
Cut 150mm off the length of hose - attach to top of filter - connect the rest to the bottom.
Sterlise with boiling water.
Now rack from your Vessel into another vessel/fermenter thru the filter.
If it blocks - turn off tap and empty filter then start again.
Makes sure you rack to the bottom of the vessel/fermenter.

Hope this helps.
If u do a search on the site there are some pics.

Hop bags in the keg work fantastic!!. Faarken great aroma, and some flavour, no blockages, re usable, dirt cheap. I'll never do it any other way now.

P.S, i know how frustrating a blocked dip tube can be, it sucks hahaha.

Sorry MJE1980, but it don't suck, and thats gunna be the problem :blink:

Sorry MJE1980, but it don't suck, and thats gunna be the problem :blink:

Can't you just attach the Gas 'in' line to the liquid 'out' line and blow em back out the bottom of the tube?

Cheers - Mike
Yep, will give this a try if, or should I say when this happens.
Thanks guys, I knew you would come thru with answers.
This site is the best, if I was about 20-30 years younger, I'd say it "rocks"
Anybody wanna help with designs for my kitchen upgrade :p

Normell ,

Its the way too go Dry Hop !!!

and filter your beer

Pumpy

Dry_hoppin_2.JPG

good luck with the kitchen upgrade normell. Ive just finished mine last week.

Took 2 days to pull the old one out and get the new one in. Then its taken me months to get the new benchtops made and tile the walls and floors, then paint and put in downlights etc.

Putting the kitchen in is the easy bit, its all the finishing touches that take so much time.

Don't go swapping the disconnects onto the incorrect post. One of them will jam almost solid and require lots of brute force to remove.

G'day Norm.

I 'norm'ally just put the plug whole into the hop bag. It will soak up and expand.

I don't think you'll have too much problem with grassyness as long as the hops are relatively fresh and you don't keep them soaking for more than 3-4 weeks. (I know Saaz is supposed to be esp prone to the grassyness and other people have recommended not making a hop tea with them for that reason but I have successfully dry hopped with them as described)

Good luck with the kitchen mate

Don't go swapping the disconnects onto the incorrect post. One of them will jam almost solid and require lots of brute force to remove.

Sensibility dictates you just undo the nut and tail on the disconnect and put the black (beer out) disconnect onto the gas line. My opinion is that unblocking this way will just draw the same mess back up again once you try and proceed as normal. :ph34r:

Worth a try all the same if need be.

Warren -

Don't try to pour the beer out the keg either. The small amount of carbonation will make it foam like buggery and makes a huge mess. I have first hand experience with this. Seemed obviuos afterwards 8(.

I would suggest a syphon with something to filter. Then dissassemble clear and re-assemble. Your only option I would guess.

Latest posts

Back