1st Double Ag What Will Be Different

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
i have been doing single AG batches since starting AG,

in the next week or two i am going to do my first double batch with my new setup.

while i have my single batches down pat what will i have to adjust to do doubles.

my main concern would be heating my strike water to get to my 66 deg mash temp, normally i heat to 75 deg in HLT then into my mash tun it turns out to be 66 in mash,

now with a larger"53" liter esky instead of the 30 liter one will i still be able to heat the strike water to 75 deg to get my mash temp to 66 deg, or will i have to add another 1 or 2 deg to get my mash temp of 66.

another factor is i am used to having 28 liters in my kettle and with a 60 min boil i end up with 22/23 liters which then fits perfectly into a cube, probably with about a liter of trub left in the kettle.now i have a 70 liter kettle and doing a double do i have 56 liters in the kettle and will that evaporate down to 42/44 liters.
or do i only have about 50/52 liters pre boil.
not sure about that.
fergi

If you're using a different system, you're going to have to calculate a lot of this stuff yourself - either with a grain free run through or just biting the bullet, brewing and seeing where it ends up.

For example: Strike water and heat loss in your tun. Use the grain and grape strike temp calculator to get an idea of likely strike temp. GG website/articles/brewing info/strike temp calculation, scroll down.

Heat loss - fill with hot water, cover and measure start and end.

Efficiency may change - only way to tell is to brew.

Boil off rate - again fill with water, run for an hour or so, measure at beginning and end.

bugger i just typed a long answer here manticle and i lost it, anyway thanks for the input, you are correct i will have to do some trials on my new equipment.
thanks fergi

Latest posts

Back