1st Ag Fermentation Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Guys,

Started my first AG on the 27th Feb, a low gravity pommie bitter using London Ale III. Fermenting at 18c - Racked & dry hopped to secondary after 1 week as FG 1012 against expected 1010. It's been in secondary for 10 days now & every morning when I release the cap, it's still releasing gas. Do I leave in secondary for however long it takes to stop being active or should I be transferring to CC?

Cheers Ross

Ross,

I would take a gravity reading just to be sure, but given the length of time I'd either bottle/keg or cc if that is what you want to do. The gas is most likely just a little CO2 coming out of solution - I've had beers in secondary in winter for 2-3 weeks waiting to bottle that have still let out the occasional burp through the airlock. If it is finished you can bottle or cc to your hearts content. Just double check the gravity to be sure. Compare it to your yeast's suggested average attentuation if you like as well. Extra peace of mind.

Should be a good drop mate. Hope it is the goods :)

Shawn.

Don't ask me why Ross nearly everytime I dry-hop in the secondary the beer outgasses more than one that isn't dry hopped. Beer is at or about terminal gravity but I still get consistent albeit slower airlock activity.

Has anyone experienced or care to elaborate on this mystical phenomenon :blink:

Warren -

Thanks Gough,

Really keen to keg this one, but I'm trying to be patient (already kegged my 2nd brew). It's quite an appreciable hiss each morning (I'm sure it's not just coming out of solution, though I may be wrong) & I guessed there must be some further conditioning going on?...

Warren,

That was my other worry - that something bad might be happening due to the dry hopping, but she still smells great...

warrenlw63 said:
Don't ask me why Ross nearly everytime I dry-hop in the secondary the beer outgasses more than one that isn't dry hopped. Beer is at or about terminal gravity but I still get consistent albeit slower airlock activity.

Warren -
[post="49276"][/post]​

Yep, my dryhopped beers generally seem to release more gas at final gravity than ones that haven't been now you mention it. Maybe it is just the hops performing a similar role to scratches/imperfections in a Champagne glass, giving something extra for the bubbles to form on and then release?? I aint no scientist though... Just a theory :)

Shawn.

Wouldn't worry there Ross. The times I dry hopped in the secondary and I got airlock activity the beer was fine. Haven't had a dry hopped beer infect on me yet. :)

Just always makes me wonder if there's some kind of reaction between the hops and the trapped CO2 in the beer.

Warren -

Hey Shawn,

How's it going? Did you get your APA underway last weekend?

Mine's been postponed until Good Friday. Ran out of time on Monday. Plus Melbourne was a little less than perfect for brewing. Got up to 34c.

Here's hoping that Good Friday is a little cooler. Hate postponing brews. :(

Warren -

G'day Warren,

Amarillo APA was brewed on Saturday and is in the ferm fridge as we speak. I'd misjudged how much Northern Brewer I had left so the 60 min addition ended up being 50/50 Northern Brewer and Amarillo rather than just Northern Brewer. IBUs upped slightly so may be a touch more bitter than the original recipe but hopefully should be a goodun'. At least I'll get to know what Amarillo tastes like now :lol:

Hope you get yours underway OK on Good Friday. I'll give you a yell when mine is in the bottle...

Thread hijack over and out (hey, it wasn't my fault. Honest! :p )

Shawn.

Call it a semi thread hijack. We were talking about A/G brewing after all. :D

Ditto the apology about the hijack Ross! ;)

Warren -

Ross said:
Guys,

snipped>27th Feb, a low gravity pommie bitter..... Do I leave in secondary for however long it takes to stop being active or should I be transferring to CC?

Cheers Ross
[post="49265"][/post]​

It at its prime right now if you keg i would be drinking that tonite. I wouldn't worry about ever racking such a beer a 'low gravity pommie bitter' just leave them in the primary untill all the yeast clears out. It should be out within 2 weeks if not i just chuck it in the fridge for a few days.

Ross said:
snipped>
Really keen to keg this one., but I'm trying to be patient (already kegged my 2nd brew). It's quite an appreciable hiss each morning (I'm sure it's not just coming out of solution, though I may be wrong) & I guessed there must be some further conditioning going on?...
[post="49277"][/post]​

whats it look like? Are the samples clear? I would be kegging this tonite. :chug:

Gough said:
warrenlw63 said:
snipped> dry-hop in the secondary the beer outgasses more than one that isn't dry hopped.

Warren -
[post="49276"][/post]​

Maybe it is just the hops performing a similar role to scratches/imperfections in a Champagne glass, giving something extra for the bubbles to form on and then release?? I aint no scientist though... Just a theory :)

Shawn.
[post="49280"][/post]​

I think the common term is it provides nucleation sites (spelling? iam no scientist either <_<
Just like a dirty glass the dry hops are!
I don't dry hop but i do remember long ago when i did you can see them foam up.

Jayse

Jayse,

I haven't checked the clarity as she's coated in hops inside a cube & I filter anyway - Put her in my conditioning fridge set at 2c about an hour ago... Will filter & keg as soon as temp has dropped....

Thanks for thr reassurance guys - that's the second time a dry hopped ale has refused to die on me. The first time all seemed fine, then 1 morning there was like 3 times the volume of gas - panicked that an infection was starting - so CC for 2 days then filtered/kegged. Still drinking now after a month & she's lovely... :D

Back