1L swing top bottles.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyper.Intelligent.Fish

Reaction score
Did a search, but couldn't find anything relevant.

A number of the larger retailers and variety stores here in Adelaide are selling 1L swing top bottles for around $2 each. They're labelled as water bottles, but I'm wondering if they'd be any good for priming and conditioning.

Anyone have any experience using these bottles, or cautions about them?

Thanks,

Fish.

Depends on the seal/how tight the lid swings on. I've had a few of those for water in the past, but the swing top mechanism was shite. Check them out by all means, but don't be surprised if they are rubbish.

JD

usually they are pretty tough as they are made for making lemonade. the main downside is they are usually clear glass so you need to keep them in the dark. 1l brown swingtop beer bottles are common here in europe (even seen 3l ones). just keep looking

razz said:
If their the ones I'm thinking of Fish (we have them at home) then they are not suitable to hold pressure.
That's what I was thinking. They're nowhere near as solid as a champagne bottle or Grolsch bottle, but then I'm thinking that the seal on top is not as tight as a Grolsch, so the top might pop rather than the bottle exploding.

Has anyone been game enough to try them?

Fish,

I have just picked up 12 swing top bottles 750mls from a kitchen warehouse like store - they were 3 dollars a go but on the label they say that they are for brewing and are brown glass, the cap mechanism is actually quite tight, and the seals look nice and thick and are silicone i think.

few days away from bottling though i will keep you updated, and will have a look tonight for a brand if i can see one,

that being said if they are good they will be cheaper that the ones on ebay with freight, unless you can get them and pick them up maybe,

Hi Fish,

I'm not super experienced at home brewing and I mainly bottle in the brown plastic bottles you can buy at big W or Woolworths which work a treat. The one downside to these is that they can be a bit hard to see through and I really like to see what my beer is doing. So when bottling a lager a few days I filled one of those 1lt glass swing top bottles you're talking about so I could keep an eye on it.

Basically what I'm saying is; I have never done this before and don't know if I've just wasted a litre of my beer but I can let you know in a few weeks how it goes. It should be interesting.

Well, here's feedback from the experiment; Don't bother unless you don't like carbonation.

None of the bottles I've used have held carbonation to any great extent, but the Grolsch bottles were fine. I think the cheap swing tops allowed the pressure to escape.

There was only a slight fizz. Still, we live and learn.

Oh that's a bit disappointing :unsure: how long did you leave it in the bottle for?

I might pop mine in the fridge on Friday to enjoy over the long weekend and see how it went.

I will let you know though I expect it'll be much the same for me as it was for you.

Im no expert either but you haven't givn much away regarding your brewing process. As for the bottles I think they are too cheep to be of any value.
If they are the same type that I have seen in sam's I wouldn't bother imho...

menoetes said:
Oh that's a bit disappointing :unsure: how long did you leave it in the bottle for?

I might pop mine in the fridge on Friday to enjoy over the long weekend and see how it went.

I will let you know though I expect it'll be much the same for me as it was for you.

Both bottles carbed for just over two weeks, then in the fridge for 2 days before opening. The Grolsch bottles were the same, only they held carbonation where the discount swing tops didn't.

I still have another three to drink, but I don't expect any changes. From now I'll stick to the Grolsch. Let me know how yours went.

If they are the bottles I'm thinking then they are for brewing no/low alc. lemonade/ginger ale where you let it primary in the bottle for 24-48 hours and then drink. I guess carbon dioxide production levels are up a bit more than secondary so maybe they seal better? Or maybe it's just you crack them so early (I wouldn't recommend leaving them to carb to long or you'll have grenades). My mate makes a mean lemonade for his kids this way.

Just bottled a cider into 750 ml brown swingtops i picked up for 3 dollars a go,

Opened one last week went off like a gunshot, scared the begeezus outta me,

Mind you great secondary and no bombs,

loving it,

I will check the brand tonight and let you know tomorrow.

They are copper tun brand,

So LHBS should be able to get you some?

2.99 ea i paid so not too bad will last a long time.

and apparently the same ones that are sold in the Mad Millie cider kits.

I just opened my swing top bottle, it went off with a nice POP when I released the catch and the beer fizzed and foamed quite nicely. maybe a little too nicely...

995672_10151259076412465_349629695_n.jpg

But I blame that on my pouring... it's late after-all. I don't know if I would use them again though as I think I might just have been lucky with this one.

My swing tops were just from dollars and sense and used in the past for homemade lemonade, but they seemed to work out.

Now excuse me, got a drink to tend to :chug:

Back