1kg grain storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beil

Reaction score
Cheap as chips has these $2.50 cylindrical screw top plastic containers that can hold exactly 1kg grain.
Perfect for the stuff that you don't use loads of (or have just bought and want to contain as you know you won't be using it all next brew; eg. Only using 40g of that roast barley next brew but got a kg for a stout after ;) )

Possibly useless post, possibly useful, you decide.
Either way, $2.50....

tmp_31355-Screenshot_20170127-214018-1553064169.png

Just use plastic drink bottles can buy bottled water cheap from supermarket use the water and dry out the bottles or just use other drink bottles.

Both of the above are good calls. I mostly use old Milo tins. The big tins (the kids get through shitloads of the stuff) are good for a kilo.

Lyrebird: cylindrical plastic screw top containers from cheap as chips (as mentioned above?)

Wynnum: drink bottles? Really? I can't imagine anything more annoying to use, never mind the fact that it would be a pain in the arse to fill through the small opening, and emptying would just cause it to clog; through the same small opening? I don't see why you would buy water bottles just to empty to use for this (even if you drink the water) seems like more effort than its worth, when there are actual containers out there?

Malbeven: closest thing we have is the big coffee tins, but I hate opening them and we don't really go through enough. Makes sense to use what you have lying around.
Personally I'm a stickler for order and love containers, you should see my pantry lol.

Beil said:
Lyrebird: cylindrical plastic screw top containers from cheap as chips (as mentioned above?)
To be fair Cheap as Chips is only found in SA and country Vic (with only two stores in Metro-Melbourne) and one in Broken Hill, so most Aussies will only know the expression "Cheap as Chips" as opposed to recognising it as the name of a cheap shop (with annoying adverts).

If you got a vacuum sealer, just fill a bag and re-seal after each use. No need to run vacuum mode just push most of the air out and all is swell.

When I'm lazy I don't even use the seal mode and just roll up and put an elastic band around. Allows me to mold the bag inside my buckets of bulk grain to save on even more space.

Jack: that makes sense, I'm a UK expat so not familiar with what is and isn't in each state yet, I just figured chain stores like that are all over the country.

L3thal: I want a vacuum sealed for my hops instead of clip seal tuppaware in the fridge.

Baby formula tins hold 1kg nicely

The trick is getting SWMBO to realise having a baby will help your brewing

Beil said:
Jack: that makes sense, I'm a UK expat so not familiar with what is and isn't in each state yet, I just figured chain stores like that are all over the country.

L3thal: I want a vacuum sealed for my hops instead of clip seal tuppaware in the fridge.
Sounds like you'll at least have two uses for it then ;-)

Beil said:
Vacuum sealers and bags at Aldi next week

The sealer looks pretty good. As far as I can tell a lot more sophisticated than my eBay model for the same price. If I didn't own a working sealer already, I'd be jumping on this Aldi deal.

I've been vacuum packing some of my grain. One tip - make sure you shape the bag exactly as you want it before you vacuum seal it. Once it's sealed it's as solid as a brick. I flatten mine with a chopping board so they stack nicely.

I have always got the brew shop to crush my grain when i order. It would take a year or two to recoup the cost of the mill and saves a lot of hassle storing and milling grain. The only downside is those occasions when you don't hit your numbers and you can't help but wonder if they measured the grain out incorrectly

When has cost ever been an issue when trying to produce top notch beers? ;)

Milling is actually not that much of a pain. I do between 5 and 8kg by hand on a cheap mill and it's not an issue at all. Doing all the prep, including weighing out all the ingredients and milling the grain takes less time than bringing up the mash and sparge water to temperature.

Seriously, having gone from kits and infusions to all grain in the last 6 months, I now can't imagine having less than 6 varieties and less than 50kg of grain in the house. :lol:

At the moment I have 12 grain types and about 160kg stored in various places around the house. I feel like a squirrel. :D Some of it is going fast, but some of it will be around for at least a year. For example the Gladfield light chocolate malt is an absolute stunner. I have 9kg left, but you only need about 0.5-1kg per 22L batch. So that's vacuum packed for longevity.

If cost ain't an issue then treat yourself to a mill motor peter [emoji6][emoji6][emoji6]

I also know your situation too well. I got excited and bought 5kg each of Carafa Special 2 & 3 when Full Pint was closing then realised I use 100g per batch typically.... lol

peteru said:
When has cost ever been an issue when trying to produce top notch beers? ;)

Milling is actually not that much of a pain. I do between 5 and 8kg by hand on a cheap mill and it's not an issue at all. Doing all the prep, including weighing out all the ingredients and milling the grain takes less time than bringing up the mash and sparge water to temperature.

Seriously, having gone from kits and infusions to all grain in the last 6 months, I now can't imagine having less than 6 varieties and less than 50kg of grain in the house. :lol:

At the moment I have 12 grain types and about 160kg stored in various places around the house. I feel like a squirrel. :D Some of it is going fast, but some of it will be around for at least a year. For example the Gladfield light chocolate malt is an absolute stunner. I have 9kg left, but you only need about 0.5-1kg per 22L batch. So that's vacuum packed for longevity.
Do you mean 0.05-0.1kg per 22L batch of the choc malt? 1kg seems like a lot

My chocolate rye porter had 500g of Gladfield Light Chocolate malt. Turned out awesome.

On the cards sometimes soon is a stronger and chocolatier version of the same recipe, so I reckon I should be able to get away with up to a whole kilo of chocolate malt for beer in the 12% ABV range.

Back