1969 Homebrew Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TmC

Reaction score
I recently found an old recipe that i thought was interesting and would like to see if anyone has ever tried one of these old ones. This is what it reads:

"HOME BREW

Ingredients and Equipement

3 1/2 lbs White Sugar
1 lbs Brown Sugar
2 lbs Malt Extract (not cod liver)
1 heaped teaspoon Salt
1 heaped teaspoon yeast (dry balm)
3 oz Hops

Method

In one tin place 2 1/2 gallons water (preferably rain water) and bring to boil. When boiling, place hops tied in a muslin bag and weighted down. Leave in boiling water for 20 MINUTES EXACTLY!

In tin two, place sugar, malt and salt. When number 1 tin has competed 20 minutes bouling, remove hops and pur the liquid into no 2 tin and stir well. Squeeze out the hops in the muslin bag. Clean number 1 tin. When the mixture in number two tin reaches 80 Farenheit, mix heaped teaspoon of yeast in a cup of luke warm water. Pour into liquid and stir well. Place tin in a warm position where it wont be disturbed and cover well with towels/newspaper to keep warm. Skim morning and night for one to two weeks depending on weather. When worked out syphon contents into second tin leave stand for 24 hours then syphon again. Syphon each time through clean old sheeting of fine gauge strainers.

Prepare 36 bottles (brown beer bottles) Pour into each bottle mixture only 1/3 full. Add 2 teaspoons of sugar and top up with water. Seal bottle with crown sealer and leave 14 days. Lay bottles on their sides. Stand bottles up a few days before drinking to allow sediment to settle.

From Colin Henry Gray November 1969."

Man that looks nasty. I was wondering what to make for the next case swap. Problem solvered B)

Cheers

Would hate to think what beer a few hundred years ago tasted like :D

I was talking to the guy who gave me this recipe, at the time he can still remember the bottles going off in the middle of the night, 2 teaspoons of sugar per tallie was probably the reason, overcarb'd?

Cant say i like my beer salty either

As they say; you can get used to camels piss if you have to. And weve all been there at one time or another.

So glad Ive moved on.

Is it true that Tidal Pete has drunk from the Holy Grail?

Does TP do any faith healing after those case swaps?

TmC, youll have to come down this way and meet us all.

Back