19 Day Krausen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wombil

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have a brown ale,double batch, started at 1.067 but diluted to;
1x 24 litre fermenter at 1.050
1x 20 litre cube at 1.045
Both with us-05 pitched, 11 grammes.
Both lots put in fermenter fridge at 18 degrees and started working within 12 hours.
The cube finished at 1.008 4 days ago but the krausen on the fermenter does not look like falling at all and it has been 19 days. What's going on here?I have made the exact same brew many times under the same conditions and the krausen is usually gone in a week or so.
I am wondering if a little stir would be ok.
Thanks for any replies.

DSCF2295.JPG

Yeah us05 sometimes just hangs around. I'd say it's done. Crash chill and cold condition for a week then package if hydro readings suggest it's done

Thanks Argon.
I forgot to put the whirlfloc in this lot so I was thinking of giving it a stir with some gelatine then cold conditioning.
How do you think this would go?

Hey Guys,
I have a brown ale,double batch, started at 1.067 but diluted to;
1x 24 litre fermenter at 1.050
1x 20 litre cube at 1.045
Both with us-05 pitched, 11 grammes.
Both lots put in fermenter fridge at 18 degrees and started working within 12 hours.
The cube finished at 1.008 4 days ago but the krausen on the fermenter does not look like falling at all and it has been 19 days. What's going on here?I have made the exact same brew many times under the same conditions and the krausen is usually gone in a week or so.
I am wondering if a little stir would be ok.
Thanks for any replies.

View attachment 54223

that krausen looks quite thick and yeasty

Thanks Argon.
I forgot to put the whirlfloc in this lot so I was thinking of giving it a stir with some gelatine then cold conditioning.
How do you think this would go?
I wouldn't bother stirring it. Chilling and gelatine will make it drop clear fine.

Thanks mate,will do that and wait another week.
Might have a week or two on the wagon or weaken and buy a slab.Bugger.

If really worried, rack it gently into another vessel then stick it in the cold. Not unusual/unheard of with 05 for the krausen to be persistent. You should try fermenting with 10007 if you want to see krausen that just doesn't want to go home.

I've heard some people getting a knife and cutting around the edges, leaving the krausen intact. It should then drop to the bottom neatly in two days.

Thanks Guys,
I followed argons suggestion and just poured some gelatine mix over the top and dropped the temperature,don't know what it is but pretty cold.Been 2 1/2 days now and krausen dropped and looks nice and clear.Tastes beaut.Both lots at SG 1.008.

Back