16gm Co2 Cartridges

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no personal experience with them, but don't see why they wouldn't be fine.

My main concern was they don't state whether they are pure CO2 (well, close to) as I've heard paintball canisters can have oils in them. Do tire fillers like these have impurities?

You must be rich to be able to run them :)

Nah, just starting out with kegging after bottling for ages and a mate has lent me a corny for a few pilot runs. I want to get used to naturally carbing kegs and the general kegging process before I splash out and buy any CO2 cylinders and regulators etc.

I did some math too... Turns out the initial layout of a ~2.6kg cylinder (~$200), reg (~$50), plus filling canister with CO2 ($25), which will dispense ~300L I'm told (~16 corny's), I'd need to go through a worst case scenario of 32 bulbs (2 x 16g bulbs per corny, ~$55) plus a keg charger (~$20) for that amount. After about 7 to 8 cycles of this pattern the full CO2 cylinder setup becomes the better option. That's assuming I can still get the bulbs @ $1.75 each for that period... which is probably inaccurate, so maybe ~4 cycles is more like the real world experience.

Maybe my numbers are wrong, but it still looks like the bulbs are a fairly good option to start out with?

Josh.

I guess I was only looking at the cost of CO2, as I tend to ignore the setup cost cause if you offset it over a few years it becomes minimal. Just when I though those CO2 bulbs work out at about 10 times the cost per vol of CO2 against a large bottle.

Just remember at the end of this period where you plan to break even, if you had initially purchased a CO2 bottle and reg, you will then have it for all futher brews at the new cheaper price, and if you ever pull the pin you can sell the gear pretty easy on here.

QldKev

Your points about the break-even mark and also the resale factor are good. Something I'll definitely take into account if I decide to keg for the long haul. Cheers!

Maybe my numbers are wrong, but it still looks like the bulbs are a fairly good option to start out with?

Josh.

Buy a regulator & a soda stream adapter from a LHBS or site sponsor, and a sodastream bottle from kmart. These only cost $12 to refill and have enough c02 to carbonate & serve 40L.

Then at least when you are ready to invest in a bigger c02 bottle, you already have a regulator and a spare c02 solution for those moments when you run out of gas the night before you are about to host a BBQ for all of your mates.

I'll also wager that once you get setup with your keg and you realize how shit washing & filling bottles is, you wont give it away. ;)

Buy a regulator & a soda stream adapter from a LHBS or site sponsor, and a sodastream bottle from kmart. These only cost $12 to refill and have enough c02 to carbonate & serve 40L.

Then at least when you are ready to invest in a bigger c02 bottle, you already have a regulator and a spare c02 solution for those moments when you run out of gas the night before you are about to host a BBQ for all of your mates.

I'll also wager that once you get setup with your keg and you realize how shit washing & filling bottles is, you wont give it away. ;)

Agreed, you don't see many people go back.

QldKev

Out of interest, if you are so inclined, online bike stores like cellbikes or torpedo7 have sales on 16gm threaded co2 canisters all the time. Not unusual to get them for $1 each.

Sure I am using them to inflate tyres, but they are compatible with our keg chargers, and they will be able to dispense a naturally carbed keg, or any party setup no problems.

I survived with them until i pulled the trigger on a reg and paintball tank kit.

Out of interest, if you are so inclined, online bike stores like cellbikes or torpedo7 have sales on 16gm threaded co2 canisters all the time. Not unusual to get them for $1 each.

Sure I am using them to inflate tyres, but they are compatible with our keg chargers, and they will be able to dispense a naturally carbed keg, or any party setup no problems.

I survived with them until i pulled the trigger on a reg and paintball tank kit.

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep those stores in mind!

Back