15a Plug On 40l Birko

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kierent

Reaction score
Hi

I recently bought a 2nd hand 40L birko urn for BIAB. I got it and the plug is a 15A plug that has had the earth pin tampered with so it will fit in a normal 10A socket. (I think that's what normal house power points are?).

The label on the bottom of the urn says 240-250V and 12.5A. Is this safe to use in my home? Seems a bit dodgy. I'll ask the lady tomorrow what the go with it is but thought some one on here might know whether it's safe?
Thanks

photo.jpg

is there a label or anything on the urn itself? it 'may' be a 10A unit but the plug got damaged and someone botched it up. but that is a big maybe

No, get a qualified sparky to replace the plug and install a 15A socket for you.

Cheers

That earth pin looks dodgy as / grinded?
Anything 2400w is 10amp.

I suppose it's fair enough, on the label that says 12.5A it says 3000W. Pretty hefty.

Yeah, they've used a grinder or something so it will fit in a 10A socket. I'll get it fixed by a sparky. Thanks for the advice

IMO don't bother fixing the pin, make sure you have a 3000w socket first.

The circuit will probably take the load... but the GPO is only rated at 10A. Get a sparky ... dedicated 15A circuit is the go!

I bought an urn from graysonline that was sold as 10 amp but had a 15 amp plug on it. I did some research and found out I had the 3000w version which needs a 15 amp socket. Fortunately I have a 1970's (possibly older than me!) jacuzzi that has a 15 amp socket for the heating element. I had to buy a 15amp extension cord (the socket is in a bad spot), but it works very well. If yours is the 3000w element and not the 2400w then you are going to need an electrical circuit that can handle it.
I have not seen the 2400w urn in action but I definitely get a very strong boil and have no complaints about my urn.

I hope this helps.

I'd count myself lucky to score a 3000W urn :)

Have you checked if you have a 15A socket in your circuit box? Or perhaps where an old a/c used to be?

The 2400W Birko is good but the 3000 is the dux - well worth investigating the 15a circuit. In any case the 2400 can trip some 10a circuits as it is, if there are already a few appliances on it anyway. In an old place if a couple of ferm fridges kicked in at the same time and a magpie flew overhead then zap.

I'd count myself lucky to score a 3000W urn :)

Have you checked if you have a 15A socket in your circuit box? Or perhaps where an old a/c used to be?

Yeah I was thinking that after I realised it was 3000W. It seems most are 2400W and some have complained about it taking a while to boil. So I'm stoked I got a 3000W model. I haven't had a look to see if I have a 15A circuit but we have an air conditioner so I reckon we would. When I get the 15A socket put in I'll ask the sparky about the plug

Hi

I recently bought a 2nd hand 40L birko urn for BIAB. I got it and the plug is a 15A plug that has had the earth pin tampered with so it will fit in a normal 10A socket. (I think that's what normal house power points are?).

The label on the bottom of the urn says 240-250V and 12.5A. Is this safe to use in my home? Seems a bit dodgy. I'll ask the lady tomorrow what the go with it is but thought some one on here might know whether it's safe?
Thanks
I would be contacting whoever put the testntag label on it and ask them how it passed.

I would be contacting whoever put the testntag label on it and ask them how it passed.
i second that, failing that maybe contact the authority who looks after the tagging and see what they say about it. one of the things to look for when tagging is dodgy plugs.

I would say whoever sold it cut the pin to see if it worked.

Grinding earth pins - what a disgrace.
I would have just chopped it off....... :ph34r: :ph34r:

I would have just lopped the end off and stuck a 10amp plug end on. Power circuit will be 16amp any way.
As for the test tag - who said the pin was filed down when the tag was put on? Might have been fine when it was tagged. Then the test and tag guy left pin was ground down. People do it all the time which is why they whole test and tag thing is a joke - especially when industry isnt required to retrofit RCDs to existing power circuits.

I would have just lopped the end off and stuck a 10amp plug end on. Power circuit will be 16amp any way.
As for the test tag - who said the pin was filed down when the tag was put on? Might have been fine when it was tagged. Then the test and tag guy left pin was ground down. People do it all the time which is why they whole test and tag thing is a joke - especially when industry isnt required to retrofit RCDs to existing power circuits.

I actually had a look on the meter box today and it looks like most of the circuits are 10A circuits to power points. There is a 16A circuit for the a/c but that's hardwired rather than into a socket. There were a few other 16A circuits and a 12.5A circuit which is what the urn is rated at so if I can figure out where those outlets are I'm good to go with a 10A plug end. Or a 15A extension cord.... Time to call the sparky, don't really wanna electrocute myself/burn the house down. Or even have to keep resetting circuit breakers mid-boil. That would kill my IBU calculations :)

I actually had a look on the meter box today and it looks like most of the circuits are 10A circuits to power points. There is a 16A circuit for the a/c but that's hardwired rather than into a socket. There were a few other 16A circuits and a 12.5A circuit which is what the urn is rated at so if I can figure out where those outlets are I'm good to go with a 10A plug end. Or a 15A extension cord.... Time to call the sparky, don't really wanna electrocute myself/burn the house down. Or even have to keep resetting circuit breakers mid-boil. That would kill my IBU calculations :)

Normal power circuits (normally) have 16A breakers. If you have 10A (or 12.5A) breakers they will be for lights.

BUT, the GPO (power point) is only rated at 10A, so if you plug it into a standard power point you run the (small) risk of the outlet overheating, melting and burning your house down (and all without tripping the breaker).

Calling a sparky to install a dedicated 15A GPO is your best bet.

Ended up getting a 15A socket installed on the AC wiring. Boils like a beast, I have had to add water to every brew because it evaporates so much. But that's cool. I have searched this question and I think it's ok, but does anyone know if having a boil that's really vigorous will actually over bitter my brew? I haven't noticed the brews are over bittered but theoretically, is a rolling boil preferable to a vigorous boil? (even though those terms are relative). I don't mind adding water, just don't wanna over bitter.

Back