150 Lashes hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobboMC

Reaction score
In the holidays I ran out of brew to drink so I made myself a very nice Porter by mixing 50/50
Coopers Best Extra Stout (6.3%) with James Squires 150 Lashes Pale Ale ( 4.2%). The result was so good that I can't wait to make some of my own.

I can easily dilute a stout kit to 5.25% ( or boost a Porter kit with some black and dark crystal grain ) and use half a can of wheat malt, but my question is:

- what are the hops used to create the aroma of 150 Lashes?

Very much a citris and fruity aroma.

RobboMC said:
In the holidays I ran out of brew to drink so I made myself a very nice Porter by mixing 50/50
Coopers Best Extra Stout (6.3%) with James Squires 150 Lashes Pale Ale ( 4.2%). The result was so good that I can't wait to make some of my own.

I can easily dilute a stout kit to 5.25% ( or boost a Porter kit with some black and dark crystal grain ) and use half a can of wheat malt, but my question is:

- what are the hops used to create the aroma of 150 Lashes?

Very much a citris and fruity aroma.
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/59820-js-150-lashes-pale-ale/

Best Reply

Hops are - "Hopped with Willamette (tas), Nelson Sauvign (NZ) & Amarillo (US)"

From Tony Jones - head brewer - seen here on youtube reviewing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
150 lashes is on tap around a lot of the pubs and clubs in Taree at the moment which makes a change from the usual suspects. I really like it - hop list is surprising, however I don't have any of them in stock :huh:

It would be great if the domestic Willamette were available to us - I was speaking with the Hop Products Australia guy at the Bris. Conference a couple of years ago and he said they are selling a fair bit of it now - first I'd heard of an Aussie Willamette.

OK wonderful. So from all of that my recipe looks like this:

190 Lashes Porter 32.5 litres abv 5.25% ( Need to use 2 fermenters )

Malts and Extracts:
1 can Nut Brown Ale or Dark Ale
1 can Coopers Australian Pale Ale
0.75 kg ( 1/2 Can ) Liquid Wheat malt
1.5 kg ( 1 can ) Liqht Liquid malt
500g Dark Crystal grain steeped
100g Black Grain steeped

Hops:
25g Willemette @ 15 min
25g Amarillo @ 7 min
25g Nelson Sauvign steeped and added to fermenter

Yeast:
US-56 or Safale

Comments, suggestions and improvements welcomed.

Nick JD said:
Fuggles is Willamette, isn't it?
It is supposed to be the american version but I much prefer williamette over fuggles, for me williamette is more universal and doesnt have the earthy "boiled peanuts" taste.

Cheers

bradsbrew said:
It is supposed to be the american version but I much prefer williamette over fuggles, for me williamette is more universal and doesnt have the earthy "boiled peanuts" taste.

Cheers
I prefer willamette too. I have come to like fuggles, but willamette is far more approachable and great as a late addition.

I get yellow sand and mushrooms from fuggles. And, yes, I have eaten yellow sand.

It took a long time but I finally got round to making this:

Final recipe:

Malts and Extracts: Volume 30 litres

1 can Muntons Nut Brown Ale
1 can Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 kg ( 2/3 Can ) Liquid Wheat malt
1.5 kg ( 1 can ) Caramalt Liquid malt
500g Crystal grain steeped
500g Munich grain steeped
40g Black Grain steeped

Hops:
25g Willemette @ 20 min
15g Nelson Sauvign @12 min
25g Amarillo @ 5 min

Yeast:
US-05

Bottled only last week so still nowhere near ready to drink but the hydrometer samples taste excellent.

Based on this recipe I really should call it Dr Smurto's Dark Ale

Yellow snow is awesome!
yellow.jpg

Back