150 lashes clone advice needed.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch_au83

Reaction score
Hi brewers. I got a kit from the local country brewer rapid creek pale ale, 1kg ultra brew ,150g naked oats (soaked in 1ltr of boiled water for 15 mins aprox then strained and rinsed ) 12g Amarillo( infused in coffee cup) and 12g of nelson sauvin (dry into fermenter before pitching yeast) . So I put it down 8 days ago followed the direction on the hops and oats, OG 1040 then pitched kit yeast @ 21deg. By day 3 it was bubbling away doing it's thing and temp crept up to 24 I opened the brew cupboard and got the temp back to 21 over the next day and left it. I have checked FG 2 days in a row and it's at 1018 both times, this seems a bit high?? The wort is also a bit " creamy looking ( not sure if it's from the oats?) but tastes quiet nice. Question is does this seem right?? Cheers guys.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413275941.360221.jpg

Just relax mate and give it a few days, it's creamy looking because there are billions of yeasties at work making your delicious beer. you should probably leave it for two weeks in primary especially since the temps got a bit high, this will clean up any off flavours and ensure your fermentation is finished. I know it's hard but try not to take too many hydro samples, you will only waste more beer

I was going to cold crash it tonight and hope it cleared up but thought I'd leave it longer. Like you say I'll give it another week and see how it goes. First time adding oats so wasn't sure if I ballsed it up. Cheers.

So been in fermenter 2 weeks and still reading 1018. Works out to be 2.9% seems low to me.

I would be more worried about how sweet that will taste, I think its safe to say your yeast has kicked the bucket. You could try adding another pack of rehydrated yeast and see if it will finish it off

I was wondering if it might have died. I'll call into the hbs and get some more and see what happens.

Turned out great. I'm not sure if it's the 2.9% I worked it out to be. Although I'm drinking it in pints.....thanks for your help

Back