150 L Gas Fired Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam_Langman

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have found some 150L SS tanks which I'm considering using for a boiler. The tanks are new and are approx 1m high and 45cm in dia and have a wall thickness of ~1.2mm (my guess) for $290.

Due to electricity constraints, I need to gas fire most/all of my equipment (HLT, HERMS, boilers). I intend to use a Mongolian 23 to fire this. My concern is that I will burn/scorch the wort because there is no thick base like there is on a pot. I'm considering whether to place the tank on a 3mm aluminium plate to prevent this.

Ok, the questions:
1) Is the Mong 23 suitable for boiling 100-125 L well (ie short heat-up and rapid boil)
2) Due to the thin base, will the wort burn?
3) If yes, is sitting the tank on a 3mm aluminium plate going to fix the problem

Thanks in advance,

Adam L

mmmm - maybe, but probably not.

My main concern would be the pot geometry. Perhaps a bit too tall and thin to be optimum. In order to evaporate a high enough percentage of your starting wort to drive off all the volatiles etc, you are going to have to boil the absolute snot out of your wort. People mostly focus on boiling hard enough... but boiling too hard is bad as well.

At a guess, you will boil off somewhere between 7-8L per hour with that kettle diameter and boiling the crap out of it to get there. If you have 100L of wort, then that's at or just under the very lowest end of the normally quoted acceptable rate for a simple open kettle arrangement at 8-15% of starting volume per hour.

So, just barley if at all acceptable boil off rate, and harder than ideal boil in order to get it. The theory says therefore that your pots aren't the appropriate shape.

But that's theory and in practice there are probably brewers out there brewing award winning beer in kettles just like yours..... still, till you hear from some of them, my advice would be that theoretically those tanks aren't ideal for the purpose and unless the price is too attractive to pass up, I would consider a different choice.

TB

protein coagulation is one issue.

OK so I have just done a quick search on protein coagulation only to find non beer examples. Would skimming whilst bringing up to boil prevent this??

Edit+ better research. does it cause haze??

Sorry for the OT :icon_offtopic:

But I am really confused after reading this information, is the protien coagulation good or bad?

During the wort boil, certain types of proteins can be coagulated. These proteins are primarily responsible for haze formation in the finished beer. However, the boiling temperature alone will not coagulate the proteins. Coagulation and precipitation require the action of the bubbles formed during a vigorous boil. Because these proteins are electrically charged molecules, providing a substance of the opposite​
charge will enhance the coagulation. Irish Moss, carragheen, is a seaweed that when added when added at the rate of 1 teaspoon to a 5 gallon batch the last 15-20 minutes of a rolling boil helps attract coagulated proteins into clumps causing their precipitation during the cool down period.​
The importance of a vigorous, rolling boil for protein coagulation cannot be emphasized enough.​

Edit+ better research. does it cause haze??

I doesnt cause haze but it can be a catalyst if you have poor coagulation and or tannins in suspension.

Im trying to find the source i read but im struggling too. i thaught it was braukaiser.com but it doesnt seem to be it.

Back