15 Litre Pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Village Idiot

Reaction score
What would be the most grain that I can mash in a 15l pot(BIAB I guess)..... wanting to do a partial but a bit nervous about stuffing it up. Any help with a recipe for a Pale Ale or a light ale would be appreciated. Have been thinking about buying this, thoughts??http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-LARGE-DOUBL...=item519b64bf5c again, how much can safely be mashed in 35 litres??

Peter

I like to keep it around about 3 litres of water per 1 kilo of grain depending on whether it is going to be a high gravity beer or darker coloured beer of course so maybe a maximum of about 3 - 3.5 kilos of grain in a 15 litre pot.... and probably use about the same ratio when working it out for a 35 litre urn depending on whether it has an exposed element may pose problem???? I am not 100% sure as I do not use an urn.

What would be the most grain that I can mash in a 15l pot(BIAB I guess)..... wanting to do a partial but a bit nervous about stuffing it up. Any help with a recipe for a Pale Ale or a light ale would be appreciated. Have been thinking about buying this, thoughts??http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-LARGE-DOUBL...=item519b64bf5c again, how much can safely be mashed in 35 litres??

Peter

i can safely do 3kg in there. spend the extra bucks down to big W and get a 20L pot. then make a 3v :)

This may not be quite what you're after but here's a Partial Mash recipe which yielded an exceptionally good beer, its an ESB which I did with a tin of Coopers Canadian (IIRC) and bibs & bobs of leftovers. It was a 19L stockpot, so scale it back a little if you wish. The The Light Malt Extract Syrup and the Ultra addition are provided by the can, the two base malts are just what I had on hand at the time.

Details:
Name: Partial ESB
Size: 23 litres
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
OG: 1.055, FG:1.011, Alc:5.8, IBU:30.6
(Alc method: by Volume; IBU method: Tinseth)

Yeast: Wyeast 1469PC West Yorkshire

Fermentables:
Name amount units pppg lov %
Bairds Golden Promise 0.40 kg 1.038 2.0 8.1%
Bairds Perle 2.60 kg 1.038 2.0 52.4%
British Cara-Malt 0.13 kg 1.035 40.0 2.6%
German Cara-Aroma 0.13 kg 1.035 130.0 2.6%
Light Malt Extract Syrup 1.70 kg 1.034 2.0 34.3%

Hops:
Name amount units Alpha Min IBU
Ultra 50.00 g 4.5 60.0 21.4
EKG Plugs UK07 14.00 g 5.9 20.0 4.7
EKG Pellets UK08 14.00 g 4.8 20.0 3.8
Aurora Pellets Slo09 30.00 g 4.8 1.0 0.6

Mash in the 15L pot with it full to the brim, you could sparge if you wanted but not really necessary, you should get around 20L of 1.050 in the fermenter fairly easily without it. To mash I'd heat 12L of water to the desired mash temp + 5C, reserve 3L in a jug, drop the grain in, stir well and then measure the temp. Adjust if need be with hot or cold as required or add the reserved water, you want the pot full to the brim and if everything goes to plan you should have it at exactly the right mash temperature. Lift and drain the bag, boil the liquor as per stock all- grain method, adding the tin of goop at the end of the boil is probably easiest in the long run. Otherwise you can leave the goop out until pitching, but you don't have anything hot to help completely empty it, but you can lose a fair bit of it to kettle trub if you add it at the end of the boil, (don't be afraid of kettle trub, a goodly bit of it in the fermenter won't drastically harm your beer at all).

In the long run, if I were you I'd get a 19L pot from big double ewe for $20 and use the 15L pot you have for sparging and just do MaxiBIAB for a while, then upgrade to a bigger kettle in your own time. I used a 19L pot for about two years and only recently upgraded to a 36L pot, that does double MaxiBIABs so I get 2 * 15L cubes from one brewday and each of those is good to fill a fermenter when diluted.

Hope this helps! :icon_cheers:

Back