15 Litre Boil V's Full Volume Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I know it's a bit dumb asking this question after i have got the 50l keg sorted but, before i buy a burner and make a chiller i must ask the question-

Is a full volume (23 litre) boil that much better than a 15 litre boil?

I only ask, as i can't see that it would make that much diff. I guess u may need a bit more hops to acheive required bitterness in a 15l boil, but if the mash is still the same amount, it is just the 7 or so litres make up water in the fermenter.
Who has done both and what are your thoughts :blink:

I regularly do 50L batches by boiling 30L and the only problem I have is slight darkening. The bitterness is worked out for me by beer smith. The only problem you may have is getting the concentrated wort the right gravity if doing all grain since you are missing a bit of the sparge volume

Your hop utilisation will be lower in a high gravity boil depending on what method you use to determine bitterness. In this respect a larger volume should help you get better extraction from your hops. (not sure how much a bigdeal it actually is ...)

Also you don't have to stuff about and work what IBUs for a 15L batch that will then be diluted into a 23L batch to hit the IBU target in the final volume.

Latest posts

Back