$15 Lcpa Stubbies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul H

Reaction score
Just when I thought I had seen it all. Went to a restaurant last weekend down the gold coast & had a few drinks. The price of the LCPA was bad enough but the coke & coffee was also quite frightful.

Absynthe__Medium_.jpg

:icon_cheers:

Paul

And the police wonder why the gold coast is so violent.. maybe its not the bikies after all, its the price of a beer!!!

typical queensland, expensive shite, not that LC arent a good brew but $15 holy shit. Half these places would be bust in weeks if they had the sort of competition that there is in Victoria and NSW. Rant over.

And the police wonder why the gold coast is so violent.. maybe its not the bikies after all, its the price of a beer!!!

I believe a glock is cheaper....... :blink:

Cheers

Paul

It's the Gold Coast. For some reason coastal areas (I grew up on the Sunny Coast) seem to think that overcharging and bad service are completely acceptable.

It's a helluva lot better in Brisbane. I'd rather be going to Bitter Suite or Archive and paying $5-$8 a schooner on average, for great beer, than $15 for a stubbie.

I noticed that a number of the Emporium area restaurants/bars (including those over the road - like Agave) are closing down - one can only attribute this to poor service and poor pricing.

At least at Lonestar, before it closed down, I could grab a pint of Stella for about $9.

I must note that Absynthe is probably the restaurant to go to on the Gold Coast. I mean if you mast pay 15 dollars a stubby you might as well get the best food on the coast with it.

Just when I thought I had seen it all. Went to a restaurant last weekend down the gold coast & had a few drinks. The price of the LCPA was bad enough but the coke & coffee was also quite frightful.

View attachment 55166

:icon_cheers:

Paul

geez for 6 people you certainly didnt eat much

Don't buy beer in Perth. A normal pint price is $10-12 now with stubbies $8-10 dollars. Some of the East coast guys come over to visit and complain they need to take out a second mortgage just to buy a round. Makes home brewing so much more pleasant.

Rodders.

Don't buy beer in Perth. A normal pint price is $10-12 now with stubbies $8-10 dollars. Some of the East coast guys come over to visit and complain they need to take out a second mortgage just to buy a round. Makes home brewing so much more pleasant.

Rodders.

I totally agree! I was there a few weeks ago (checked out Little Creatures and Sail & Anchor) and whoa expensive!!

Absnythe would be one of the dearest restaurants on the coast, haven't been myself but had a few mates who have, most reckoned it overrated and overpriced. Cheaper places to have a beer though.

I certainly won't be going there.

Plenty of competition in Thai or Indian reataurants around the place. Plenty of these are even BYO so you can bring your own 6 pack of LCPA for not much more than the price of 1 at Absynthe!

I certainly won't be going there.

Plenty of competition in Thai or Indian reataurants around the place. Plenty of these are even BYO so you can bring your own 6 pack of LCPA for not much more than the price of 1 at Absynthe!

A bit :icon_offtopic:...but would a few bottles of my own homebrew be covered under BYO?

A bit :icon_offtopic:...but would a few bottles of my own homebrew be covered under BYO?

Depends on what they allow as BYO. Within reason, BYO can be whatever the venue deems ok, though is mostly wine and increasingly beer. It's interesting what venues do though with their capability under BYO or corkage. I've taken bottles of wine from 750ml - 5L and beers the same. Mini kegs, 9L kegs and one place even let us set up a 50L commerical keg with a picnic pump (and only charged $2 pp "byo fee").

Some places charged per bottle (suckers on the 5L), and some per person. Though, i have been hit with a $30 corkage fee per bottle before...and we brought 4 :(

I take homebrew most places when we got out for dinner - only drama I've ever had was at an Indian place that was a no-alcohol venue (something religious I believe) - they made me keep the bottles under the table and pretend not to drink it.
Just last week, we took the kids to the pub-bistro for dinner, I thought it was amusing and ironic that I brought my own beer. ;)

You should hang around with some of my mates - a stubbie will cost you $30-$40 because "while you're up..." or "must be your round then" or "I'll get the next one". Bunch of tight-asses.

I don't get why some places will charge $6 for a beer that costs them $2 but then want to charge $15 for a beer that costs them $5 (yeah I get the multiply by 3 part but...). The amount of labour involved on their part is the same so shouldn't they be happy with $4 per stubbie to cover costs and a bit of profit? I don't mind paying $15 or more for a beer if I think it's worth it but little creatures isn't worth that much.

All the more reason to go to "dinner" at a place that just serves decent beer. Some of them (e.g. Scratch) even let you grab whatever takeaway you want from the places with crap beer and eat it at their place. Of course a bunch of the decent beer places also do awesome cheese which is good enough dinner for me.

Cheers,

Ed

They figure since it is a 'premium' product they can get away with a higher mark up. I've seen some astronomical mark ups in trendy restaurants for craft beer; 4 times what they were paying for it from memory.

That is crazy! isnt a case (12) of LC pints $55? I get grunted when I pay $7 for a Carlton Draught let alone $15 for a LC pint.

Latest posts

Back