14yr old coopers kit!!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point, might throw something low alpha in. Gotta boil anyhow as the boss lady is concerned I’ll poison myself with botulism.

Gotta try the yeast but have plenty to pitch if it fails.

And yeah, plenty on tap at home so can afford a drain pour.

Wondering how this turned out. You seemed dead keen on doing it!

i did the same but a pale ale coopers 2007 and it was the best pale ale i have tasted it came out ok lol we all laugh as none of us expected such a go taste lol

Wondering how this turned out. You seemed dead keen on doing it!

HA it’s currently in the fermenter. I managed to make a starter from the original dried yeast once I stepped it up a couple of times. Really surprised it was alive at all. Actually ramped up well.

The can smelled like molasses and was really dark and the pack of sugar solid but I added some grain in a mini mash (Munich, Special b and 60l crystal) and did a 20 min hop addition of some hallertau and saaz.

I don’t expect it to be good but I am happy I gave it a go.

IMG_4056.jpg

IMG_4001.jpg

HA it’s currently in the fermenter. I managed to make a starter from the original dried yeast once I stepped it up a couple of times. Really surprised it was alive at all. Actually ramped up well.

The can smelled like molasses and was really dark and the pack of sugar solid but I added some grain in a mini mash (Munich, Special b and 60l crystal) and did a 20 min hop addition of some hallertau and saaz.

I don’t expect it to be good but I am happy I gave it a go.

View attachment 112993

View attachment 112994

I'll keep an eye on this, interested to see how it turns out

Tomorrow I will find one of those vrc to DVD places I’ve heard about. Then find someone with a DVD player......

Luckily the below young stallion is featured in a full set of printed instructions. Just gotta find somewhere I can provide a nice 27 degrees for the perfect fermentation [emoji50]

View attachment 112741

Is that freaking Paul Mercurio?

just brew it mate. What have you got to lose really? If you don't you'll never know. Sure, a lot of people who I'm sure know better are saying don't do it, but isn't being a brewer all about experimenting and always learning and being open to failures and taking risks? Just use some fresh yeast and keep everything clean, control yr ferment temp, and I'm sure you'll get something drinkable.
As soon as someone tells you not to do something, do it! They are just scared that you'll succeed!

Yeah... well all that’s holding me up now is being bothered to pour this down the drain.

It fermented well, got down to 1008, but just tastes shite. started sulphury so I let it go a bit more and now it has a bit of a sour edge with some other flavour I can’t describe. Needless to say I won’t bother wasting any more time on it.

Didn’t take much time and I have the space so no great loss. My guess is it’s mostly yeast related. Whouda thought 15 year old dried yeast wouldn’t be great [emoji23]

I did think about harvesting yeast from the fermenter and making a new starter but that is probably just a waste of time. Back to brewing beers I am likely to enjoy drinking instead.

Oh well, was worth it just to see what would happen and I may bottle a few just for the hell of it (not sure why though).

It may have turned out better with fresh yeast but with malt extract that old it probably would still have been pretty crappy.

If I had the opportunity without getting in the way of regular production I'd probably do something like that just to see how shit it really was [emoji23]

Latest posts

Back