14yr old coopers kit!!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jll

Reaction score
Been brewing AG for a few years and one of the kids teachers gave me an unopened coopers kit he got 14 years ago. Actually looked brand new but the attached pics tell a different story.

Anyhow, I was thinking about brewing this for the hell of it, including trying to get a starter from the old yeast. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn’t (apart from it tasting shite).

IMG_3966.jpg

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3969.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

No - you have identified the main concern.
The Lager might be surprisingly dark, very low in bitterness and the yeast very dead but other than that have fun.
I'm just assuming you have plenty of other beer and time on your hands.
Mark

I think tasting shit is probably the main reason why you wouldn't waste your time on it.

You could brew it anyway, then just give it away to people you don't like. :p

No - you have identified the main concern.
The Lager might be surprisingly dark, very low in bitterness and the yeast very dead but other than that have fun.
I'm just assuming you have plenty of other beer and time on your hands.
Mark

Good point, might throw something low alpha in. Gotta boil anyhow as the boss lady is concerned I’ll poison myself with botulism.

Gotta try the yeast but have plenty to pitch if it fails.

And yeah, plenty on tap at home so can afford a drain pour.

What are those plastic wheels in the black case? Some sort of temperature controller? Brewing sure looked a little different in the 90s
Temp control with a Coopers brew kit, bahahahaha! Good one. Coopers idea of temp control is: stick your fermenter somewhere warm. :rolleyes:

It will absolutely be darker but given you take due care at should come out ok. Dont underestimate how good a preserving medium cans are. I would ditch the yeast however.

I've got an old can of Coopers Lager too. Definite liquid sound when shaken. No use by date or best after, though they admit to using cane sugar in this one.

It's got a bit of dust on top, but if I drink it, do you reckon it'll be okay?
DSC_3794.JPG
DSC_3795.JPG

:fallingoffchair:

EDIT - I don't think the VCR was around when this beer was produced.

Mate, brew it, take all the good advise here.

Get your mates around and drink it and tell us how it goes.

Umm - not.

Cheers Steve

;)your biggest problem will be trying to find a vcr machine so you can religiously follow the comprehensive detailed instructions

Maybe Coopers have an online video one can access.

;)your biggest problem will be trying to find a vcr machine so you can religiously follow the comprehensive detailed instructions

Tomorrow I will find one of those vrc to DVD places I’ve heard about. Then find someone with a DVD player......

Luckily the below young stallion is featured in a full set of printed instructions. Just gotta find somewhere I can provide a nice 27 degrees for the perfect fermentation [emoji50]

IMG_3987.jpg

judging by the smiles, you can't go wrong with this one.

That picture is really helpful. When you're next making up a Coopers kit, don't forget to squeeze 4 oranges and add that to the fermenter.

Don't waste your time.
I have occasionally let Coopers kit cans get well out of date, typically up to 3 years.
I brewed one but the contents tasted metallic & the brew was frankly shite.
Then I gave a couple of oldies to a friend, I did warned him!
He also found the result undrinkable.
I don't know exactly how the deterioration happens, is it logarithmic or linear, who knows.

Don't waste your time.
I have occasionally let Coopers kit cans get well out of date, typically up to 3 years.
I brewed one but the contents tasted metallic & the brew was frankly shite.
Then I gave a couple of oldies to a friend, I did warned him!
He also found the result undrinkable.
I don't know exactly how the deterioration happens, is it logarithmic or linear, who knows.
Thanks for the anecdotal evidence. I have a can lying around somewhere that is probably approaching the best before date.

Back