12V Little Brown Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Can those 12V little brown pumps handle any back pressure like the March pumps?
Is it fine to run for a little while if you have a ball valve on the exit of the pump switched to the off position?
Are they self priming so you don't need to have it lower than your source liquid?

This one

Not self priming, need to be lower.

I have used a ball valve on the outlet to throttle the flow, they still work and I can detect no problems either. Be careful not to be too rough or you will snap off the outlet with the ball valve if not secured. :ph34r:

I have gone to a March pump for most things now, because I can that's why! :beerbang:

jc64 said:
Not self priming, need to be lower.

I have used a ball valve on the outlet to throttle the flow, they still work and I can detect no problems either. Be careful not to be too rough or you will snap off the outlet with the ball valve if not secured. :ph34r:

I have gone to a March pump for most things now, because I can that's why! :beerbang:
Cheers for that.

The LBPs have been found to be fragile so if you must use one,
maybe surround it with soft connections by putting a hose barb on
each of its ports with some silicon tubing to connect to whatever
you need to.

I've found no "fragility" issues with mine, i've got them bloody tightly wound up into brass connections and all is fine. Never snapped one.
I know others have had the opposite so id say that maybe there are the odd one that gets through the net, but mine are fine.

Can be run with a ball valve throttling the output (i do this) but i wouldn't say it would be fine to run them for any great length of time with the valve "shut" as you mention in your OP.

As others have said, not self priming. I have mine connected to a right angle connector straight off the pot outlet, pump primes instantly with no issues ever.

Awesome little pump, although for my next build, i'm thinking of going to one of those Kaixin ones that wolfy and qldkev have some experience with. I will be adding a dual return path to my next pot and not sure that the LBP would be suitable for that idea so much.

I've used the same brown pump for 7 brews now and its never missed a beat. And this includes running it for 90 minutes during mash then another 20 mins while batch sparging and recirculating. Transferring to the boil kettle and then a CIP of the herms coil pump and mash run. So all up it runs for just over 2 hours and still going strong.
I've just made sure my pump is mounted to my brew frame with the body vertical and at the top to keep wort out of the main body. I use elbows and a valve to restrict flow.

Just off topic has anyone used any sort of voltage control on these pumps to restrict flow?

What do you use as a power supply?

Big Nath said:
I will be adding a dual return path to my next pot and not sure that the LBP would be suitable for that idea so much.
I've just added a dual return to my 'rip off Big Nath's brew design' rig with my LBP and it's freakin' awesome, has no problem at all

jaypes, before I changed my recirc to dual return I used a cheap dimmer & 12V power supply from eBay. Worked fairly well, except the dimmer doesn't really give you much control, it's either fully on or a trickle

Dimmer:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC12V-LED-Light-Dimmer-Brightness-Adjustable-Control-Controller-stepless-dimming-/290854227107?pt=AU_Lighting_Fans&hash=item43b8434ca3&_uhb=1

Power Supply:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-240V-DC-12V-1A-LED-power-supply-adapter-AU-plug-for-3528-strip-light-or-CCTV-/221182993014?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337f88a276&_uhb=1#ht_5876wt_1063

(sorry, haven't worked out how to do fancy links ;)

With the power supply, have a look at the link & you'll see it comes with a small connector (the bit with the green end). This makes it piss easy to connect it to your pump (no soldering required)

edit: I didn't buy from those exact suppliers, they were just the first to come up

breakbeer said:
Dimmer:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC12V-LED-Light-Dimmer-Brightness-Adjustable-Control-Controller-stepless-dimming-/290854227107?pt=AU_Lighting_Fans&hash=item43b8434ca3&_uhb=1

Power Supply:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-240V-DC-12V-1A-LED-power-supply-adapter-AU-plug-for-3528-strip-light-or-CCTV-/221182993014?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337f88a276&_uhb=1#ht_5876wt_1063

(sorry, haven't worked out how to do fancy links ;)

With the power supply, have a look at the link & you'll see it comes with a small connector (the bit with the green end). This makes it piss easy to connect it to your pump (no soldering required)

edit: I didn't buy from those exact suppliers, they were just the first to come up
To add a fancy link, type the name you want to call it then highlight it...................Dimmer Go to the page or link you want to rename, right click on the link to copy, then go to the symbol that looks like a broken chain & click it, right click on the URL box next to the protocol box & paste. The link is now what you renamed it.

veering a little OT.. anyone run these LBP's with a plate chiller?

I've got a chiller and when i build it into my rig, i like the flexibility of chilling if i desire or no-chilling too..

as i'm building a bit of a ghetto rig, i'd like to use a LBP to push through the plate chiller - any experiences with this use anyone?

Staggered aligator clips so they will never touch.. votage adjustable power supply from Jaycar

:icon_cheers:

Yob said:
Staggered aligator clips so they will never touch.. votage adjustable power supply from Jaycar

:icon_cheers:
Cheers Yob.
What do I need as far as voltage, amp etc.
Which one from Jaycar.

well.. subjective as far as voltage.. my pump is a 24v pump so I got a 24v adaptor.. if yours is 12V got a 12V one... that said amps is a different matter though.. mine is 1.5A I think from memory.. mine is also adjustabe voltage so I can, if I want, throttle it via voltage but I find that I next to never do this now...

edit: Jaycar sold me that adaptor for I think as much as the pump :lol: ($30??) but you could probably get 10 for the job at one of those trash and treasure markets... they always have a box full of them somewhere for 20c each..

Crusty, did you even read my reply or just comment on the inability to post links?

P2020166 (640x480).jpgOk crusty here's a photo.
The 12v power supply I used (same as break beers) comes with a 2mm socket with a teminal on the back where you just push the wires in and screw down the contacts, piece of piss. The low voltage inline switch also uses a 2mm pin, so just wire the LBP into the terminals, plug the male end of the switch into the terminal socket and then the male pin of the power supply into the switch socket and your in business.
Total cost is about $13 and you have a switch close to your pump so your not jumping around trying to reach the power plug in a hurry.

maybe OT here,was looking through the 2012 jaycar catalogue and found a (prolly previously linked elsewhere) dimmer/motor speed controller.
12VDC 8A. page 365 (hard copy) cat number MP-3209.
i am no electronics guru by a long shot but it reads as if it could/would work with the flow control on a little brown pump,any ideas,or is it no good.

not stirring but,no i cant post a link,i honestly dont know how,and cant be bothered to learn.

...cheers..spog.....

Latest posts

Back