1272 Fast Ferment....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobrien

Stubborn Scientist Brewing
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Yesterday I brewed a 1.074 double IPA. Pitched a good amount of 1272 collected from my previous brew (a midstrength) into the oxygenated (with an O2 cylinder and airstone) wort. I woke up the yeast with 1L of the wort about two hours before I pitched.

12 hours later, I go to the shed to check on it. No bubbling - I don't get fussed by this though, as I know how easy a small leak in an o ring is. So I play with the airlock a bit, and finally get a better seal and its bubbling only a very small amount - much less than I expected. So I take a gravity reading - 1.015

1.074 to 1.015 in 12 hours!

I still didn't belive it. So I tasted it - yum - and hardly a trace of sweetness.

crazy stuff!

M

Hi guys,

Yesterday I brewed a 1.074 double IPA. Pitched a good amount of 1272 collected from my previous brew (a midstrength) into the oxygenated (with an O2 cylinder and airstone) wort. I woke up the yeast with 1L of the wort about two hours before I pitched.

12 hours later, I go to the shed to check on it. No bubbling - I don't get fussed by this though, as I know how easy a small leak in an o ring is. So I play with the airlock a bit, and finally get a better seal and its bubbling only a very small amount - much less than I expected. So I take a gravity reading - 1.015

1.074 to 1.015 in 12 hours!

I still didn't belive it. So I tasted it - yum - and hardly a trace of sweetness.

crazy stuff!

M

Pickle me grandmother :eek: Its funny someone should write about the 1272. I put down a K&K apa last Saturday, the wort was a littl warm though. It was around the 26c mark. cooled down to an average of 22c. There was not much of a krausen when it got going. A bit over four days later it was at 1009 and 5.5% :eek: The finished beer has an unusual smell, not a bad smell. One friend said it smelt a little like "bubblegum" :huh:

Cheers
BYB

Update....

So I've been thinking about this all day, and did some *very* rough calculations, and worked out there was no way in hell it could be done already.

so back down to the shed....

I checked the gravity again, and my measure this morning was right. This was using the valve about 1/3 way up the conical. I then checked the gravity from the top of the brew - and it was way higher.

Played with the oring seal on the airlock, and seemed to get it fixed - its now bubbling at the rate I would expect for 24 hours on....

But I'm totally confused now... how the heck can the measurement from the bottom be higher than the top?! I'm sure it doesn't matter, but I would like to know.... My only guess is that the small sample I took was from inside the tube of the valve, and somehow yeast got in there and got things moving more quickly (I'm using a refract for the readings)... other than that I don't see how the heavier liquid can be on the top!

M

Latest posts

Back