123L kettle too large for BIAB?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduza

Reaction score
In order to get started brewing and stop faffing about with all this extra kit, I decided (a mate recommend to be honest), to just brew in a bag for the time being, using the kettle I have, and figure out what to do long term later on.

I measured up the boil kettle and it's way bigger than I guessed, being 123L to the top (with a 43cm diameter).

I only want to do 20L batches, so it is massive overkill, but not much chance of boil over hehe.

Question though, is the diameter too big for a 20L bag boil? 23L would only be 16cm of height in the pot.

Kettle works out to be just under 850mm so about a ~2:1 H:D, which is pretty common for stock pots.
Can think of two problems trying to work in a kettle that is only 1/5th full.
It might be hard to get a bag that will spread out enough to get all the malt hydrated (wet) and keep it in the bag.
You might get a very high boiloff, wide and shallow worts tend to boiloff very quickly. can be addressed by watching your fire size carefully and if it looks like you are loosing too much (>10%/hour) you can top it up.

You might look for a double sized bag or at getting a bag custom made to fit the pot. Another option being to do double brews with two bags in the pot. Just had a look and one of the Keg people have a large grain bag that is 70 X 80 cm cots about $8.
Not a deal breaker but you would need to work through the possibilities and look for the answer that suits you best. But I think doing double batches will make life a lot easier.
Mark

Thanks, I saw those bags as well. I figured double batches is the real answer but not really a great idea as I start out. Maybe once I've done a brew I'm really happy with, doubles will make sense.

I'll give it a try and see how it goes. All goes well I'll be doing my first brew Saturday week.

It takes just about the same time to brew a double as a single batch. I only ever made one single batch BIAB....

It's more that I don't want a double batch of something I don't like. Once I'm confident in the result, a double batch makes some sense.

Get yourself a Big W 19L pot to start on, you will soon be ready for triple batches

It's more that I don't want a double batch of something I don't like. Once I'm confident in the result, a double batch makes some sense.

You can always brew tried and tested reliable recipes with wide appeal - e.g. Dr Smurto's Golden Ale.

Start making minor variances to these recipes once you get more confidence.

Ingredients are cheap. Time is expensive. You can always give it away if it's not to your tastes. It might not be to your tastes, but if you've brewed using a reliable recipe, it's most likely not going to be 'bad'.

My 2c

Back