10min Munich Ipa - Opinions Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark_m

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm about to experiment with a smash brew:

Batch size 23l BIAB,

6kg Light Munich
120gm galaxy at 10 min.

Brewmaster gives me about 60ibu.
As I'll be no-chilling, I'm trying to work out how to adjust for greater hop utilisation.
Assuming a 10min nochill addition = 30 min "normal" addition, I'm thinking hops should be cut in half to 60gm.

Any thoughts or opinions gratefully received.

Cheers,

Mark.

Joe White or Weyerman ??

I did a 10min IPA and I treated it as a 25min addition and it feels about right.

I would dry hop too though.

Couldn't you add the hops to the cube? estimating a 10min addition from them? I think i've read that somewhere on here.

Joe White or Weyerman ??

I did a 10min IPA and I treated it as a 25min addition and it feels about right.

I would dry hop too though.

Weyerman.
Dry hop sounds good.
What sort of grain bill / hop schedule did you use?
Mark.

From memory it was around 95% munich with some caramalt and light crystal

It had lots of mouthfeel ... and with that level of sweetness you need plenty of hops to balance it... I would aim for around 40IBU with a single 10min (or cube) addition and dry hop at 1g/L given that galaxy can be potent.

Couldn't you add the hops to the cube? estimating a 10min addition from them? I think i've read that somewhere on here.

I did this to a beer once. The recipe was

1.8kg wheat
2.8kg galaxy malt

5g galaxy flowers 14.2% AA @ 30
45g galaxy flowers in the cube

I actually made a double batch of this, one cube got flowers and the other cube got pellets, both at the same IBUs if the cube addition is counted as 15mins.

The flower one was really nice, however the pellet one was not hoppy at all. If had good bitterness, great passionfruit aroma, but it was missing passionfruit flavour. From this i concluded that cube hopping adds bitterness and aroma, but not heaps of flavour, especially with pellets.

I made the beer again, but this time i chucked in some hops @ 10mins and flameout, as well as cube hops. I love galaxy, i wish i could get it from america so it was a little cheaper!

I'd calculate the 10min addition as 25.

I love galaxy, i wish i could get it from america so it was a little cheaper!
Mate,
Galaxy is an Australian hop...they won't let us grow Amarillo...so we should not let them have Galaxy lol
Cheers
Ferg

They don't have to grow it, just sell it. I can get new zealand hops cheaper from the US than i can here! :)
Mate,
Galaxy is an Australian hop...they won't let us grow Amarillo...so we should not let them have Galaxy lol
Cheers
Ferg

Back