10min Ipa With D-saaz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing the 10 min IPA recipe with D-saaz, Riwaka hops. Wondering if anyone has tried this. I thought it sounded interesting reading up on those hops.
Cheers

Do it...I guarantee you'll love it!
:beer:

Hi Phillip,
I've recently got myself some riwaka and am considering doing an IPA with them but have never used them before. So I assume by your comment you have done one before, could you give some feedback on what to expect from using all riwaka in a IPA particularly your experience using it in a 10 min IPA.

Hi Phillip,
I've recently got myself some riwaka and am considering doing an IPA with them but have never used them before. So I assume by your comment you have done one before, could you give some feedback on what to expect from using all riwaka in a IPA particularly your experience using it in a 10 min IPA.

I've never used riwaka, but the whole 10 min thing is a winner IMHO - I don't follow Phillip's grist anymore, but the intent and methodology is bloody fantastic when you want a beer with hop oomph and attitude.

I've used riwaka about 4 or 5 times now, only in NWPAs though and one IPA. As it is a bit lower on the AA% side, I haven't done a 10 min IPA with it yet. However, from the experience that I have had with it, I am very confident that it would be an exceptional hop for a 10 min IPA.

Might have to do one, but chuck in a little bit of NS to up the AA% average.

Cheers

I've used riwaka about 4 or 5 times now, only in NWPAs though and one IPA. As it is a bit lower on the AA% side, I haven't done a 10 min IPA with it yet. However, from the experience that I have had with it, I am very confident that it would be an exceptional hop for a 10 min IPA.

Might have to do one, but chuck in a little bit of NS to up the AA% average.

Cheers
Thanks for the feedback Phillip, I'll have to have a go with it soon.

Thanks for the feedback Phillip, I'll have to have a go with it soon.

You know when you drink a beer at the wheaty and you can instantly tell whether a beer is from NZ or the States...I find that riwaka has the NZ character in spades...like C hops have that American Flavour.

The current batch of Nelson Sauvin hops are divine as well...have a split batch of NWPA using straight NS. Just about to dry hop it and then oak it B)

Finding the 2011 nelson hops are less harsh when bittered and more rounded in flavour, not so cat's-bum-white-wine when overused (as the 2009 crop occasionally got, if you weren't conservative enough with its use).

Goes amazing with Citra. Even better with citra, cascade (adds that grassiness that offsets it). Seriously, the best hop combo I've ever used in an APA.

Good with galaxy, though the two of them tend to cancel each other's uniqueness in a maelstrom of allen's lollies style fruitiness.

the whole 10 min thing is a winner IMHO

+1000!. Mine is normally a 10 min APA, but after drinking SN torpedo, my latest was bumped up to 1.068. num num num!.

Let us know how the D saaz goes

Galaxy and nelson - yes, lollies, thinking that last nite.

the whole 10 min thing is a winner IMHO

+1000!. Mine is normally a 10 min APA, but after drinking SN torpedo, my latest was bumped up to 1.068. num num num!.

Let us know how the D saaz goes

Hey mark,

Is the 10min apa/ipa still deliciously balanced with NC?

Sponge

NC??,do you mean no chill??. If so, yes, although it has firm bitterness and is very hoppy!!

NC??,do you mean no chill??. If so, yes, although it has firm bitterness and is very hoppy!!

I surely do, and thats great news that its not over the top bitter. definitely will have to go once the den is all up and running.

Had an interesting conversation with Amanda at BeerBelly regarding the seasonal changes/performance of Aussie and NZ High Alpha hops recently coupled with something I read from the states a few years ago regarding a so called 5 year lifespan of new vareity hops. Give me the impression that mat i call it fad hop only have a 5 year max window to work their magic in before they are either replaced by a new vareity or the flavour fades away as it isn't economical for large hop producures to replant these vareities annually

Very interested in what has been posted so far, I'm a big fan of marrying Galaxy with Cascade in an APA style of beer but this talk of Riwaka and NS aswell has really got the juices flowing.

Latest posts

Back