1056 Krasen Won't Drop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavo

Dogwood Brews
Reaction score
I have recently tried the dry 1056 American Ale yeast found here at CraftBrewer. This is the second time I have used it. This time it was re-used from a farmed sample, washed and stored for about two months. I kept the second pack for an emergency spare.

I used it for an APA (recipe below). Brewed on Sunday 15th Feb, whirlpooled, no chilled. Poured into fermenter through sanitized strainer and pitched the 1 litre starter, after pouring of the spent wort, on Monday 16th Feb. Racked it to secondary on Friday 20th Feb at 1016 down from 1050 OG. Dry hopped with 10 grams Cascade pellets into the secondary. Sunday morning and today it was a constant 1011 SG. Pitched and fermented at 18 degrees C in fermenter fridge.

Problem/Query is that the krauzen did not want to drop and the yeast just doesn't seem to flock out to a compact layer anywhere near what US-05 does (both 1056 and US-05 are supposed to be the same?). At a steady SG of 1011 the krauzen just ramained. I have now racked it yet again and am now dropping the temp ready to gelatine and polycar. The beer was clear yet the Krauzen still there. Not to mention no compact yeast/ sediment layer.

Anyway I am wondering if anyone else has had the same experience and would like to share their experiences (show us your caring and sharing sides :p ). Should I brew a litre or two more in future to allow for losses to racking?

Here is the recipe.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: #018 Racecourse Pale Ale
Brewer: Gavin
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Boil Size: 27.18 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 18.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 30.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 83.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.20 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 33.80 %
2.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)Grain 56.34 %
0.20 kg Caramunich Malt (110.3 EBC) Grain 5.63 %
0.15 kg Pale Crystal (110.0 EBC) Grain 4.23 %
10.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (Dry Hop 4 days) Hops -
13.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (45 min) Hops 24.9 IBU
16.00 gm Amarillo [8.20 %] (10 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (5 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 2.35 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 6.13 L of water at 77.1 C 67.8 C

Notes:
------
Full boil, No chill.

I am interested in your thoughts and experiences.

Cheers
Gavo.

Gavo,

I've noticed this with a few yeast strains, 1056 included, but not all the time. In the end i take a reading if all is well i carry on. admittadly i always rack and CC my beers so ive never worried about it.

Leary

Yep, did a search for 1056. Never had this happen with US-05 and had used it quite often. As sad in that thread the beer tastes fine, well actually great.

Cheers and thanks

Gavo.

Gavo,

I've noticed this with a few yeast strains, 1056 included, but not all the time. In the end i take a reading if all is well i carry on. admittadly i always rack and CC my beers so ive never worried about it.

Leary

I have done the same, in as much I have racked it today and am now chilling it. Maybe in future I might just dry hop and then rack right near the end of the ferment.

Cheers
Gavo.

Top crop it. ;)

The remainder will drop when its chilled, geletin will finish the rest.

I always get the same situation with Wyeast West Yorkshire 1469. The krausen stays around for ages and ofen on racking to secondary it pops up again like popcorn floating on the beer "here I am again, you cannot kill me".

It's a characteristic of that particular yeast as it's bred for use in the stone square system and I'm sure there are heaps of yeasts out there that are designed to be used in the open air rather than lurking invisible in the wort.

As Butters says, if they are begging to be skimmed then skim them, and their job is done as designed.

Yea Butters I knew I should have done that. However I still have two more jars left from the last time I farmed it. I also got a bit anxious about it not dropping even after chilling and gelatine. Oh well chalk it up for next time.
Oh and yeah relax ask questions first, panic later. :D

Cheers
Gavo.

often on racking to secondary it pops up again like popcorn floating on the beer "here I am again, you cannot kill me".

:lol:

And thats exactly what it did.
Did have the same twice using Wyeast 3787. Damn persistent little beggars.

Gavo

Yea Butters I knew I should have done that. However I still have two more jars left from the last time I farmed it. I also got a bit anxious about it not dropping even after chilling and gelatine. Oh well chalk it up for next time.
Oh and yeah relax ask questions first, panic later. :D

Cheers
Gavo.

I actually got to th e point with 1469 that i was skimming it and tossing it out. :huh: ....I just had so bloody much of it. :lol:

I actually got to th e point with 1469 that i was skimming it and tossing it out. :huh: ....I just had so bloody much of it. :lol:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :(

Think you should be farming it and handing it out to your fellow AMBs. :party:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :(

Think you should be farming it and handing it out to your fellow AMBs. :party:

Well, I would have....but at this point it was getting a bit long in the tooth anyway....4th/5th gen, so not really something to be coveted. Earlier excess was given away. ;)

Well started chilling it last night after racking to second secondary... or is that thirdary. It could be tertiary but technically that is in the bottle, isn't it ... :huh: Now I'm all confused. Added gelatin this morning and will polycar tomorrow morning, and bottle Friday. Smells great and tastes great. Finally beat the strong willed Krauzen.

Oh and Butters, if you are throwing yeast away, particularly in winter, you could always throw it into a sterilized bottle and post it to me. I will make sure it gets a good home. :p

Cheers
Gavo.

Well started chilling it last night after racking to second secondary... or is that thirdary. It could be tertiary but technically that is in the bottle, isn't it ... :huh: Now I'm all confused. Added gelatin this morning and will polycar tomorrow morning, and bottle Friday. Smells great and tastes great. Finally beat the strong willed Krauzen.

Oh and Butters, if you are throwing yeast away, particularly in winter, you could always throw it into a sterilized bottle and post it to me. I will make sure it gets a good home. :p

Cheers
Gavo.

as I said, it was 4th and 5th gen....no use to anyone, but the most desperarate :lol:

Back