100% Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What difference is there Darren? I would've thought that a rice hull is a rice hull. It all gets boiled anyway.

I've only used them once and I think next time I do, I'll wash them first to remove some flavour/colour contribution.

Just saw this,

Obviously hulls of lesser quality would go to pet bedding!! :huh:

Some pet rice hulls come "scented" so they smell nice in the house :(

Just make sure they are clean ;)

cheers

Darren

I'm going to stick with your slow sparge recommendation of earlier Darren,
A:because its gotta be 100% wheat
B: cos I'm a masochist.

Yeah I've done a few weizens in the last 12 months and settled on 60/40 wheat to barley.Pils, munich and a touch of carapils. This is more about the novelty of an ALL pale wheat. Bittering lower is to accentuate the malt profile and yeast characteristic. Too higher IBU with such a bland malt profile would be out of balance.

Looks like I'm gunna be a guinea pig on this one

*Edit Grammar*

Brau,

I have done a few 100% wheats :eek: .

Malted wheat has very little husk. The mash will tend to stick unless you lauter really slow.

High water volumes also help for run-off.

Main point is to drain the tun slower than you would otherwise and she'll be apples.

cheers

Darren

Brau,

High water volumes also help for run-off.

Main point is to drain the tun slower than you would otherwise and she'll be apples.

cheers

Darren

Cool thanks for the tips
I'll add another 500ml of water per KG to my ratio and make sure i raise my temps (mash out) b4 sparging.
I havent brewed for awhile so a slow sparge will be a good lesson in patience. ;)

Keep it to a trickle and you should be ok.

yeast selection is your choice. 3333 always served me well.

cheers

Darren

Cool thanks for the tips
I'll add another 500ml of water per KG to my ratio and make sure i raise my temps (mash out) b4 sparging.
I havent brewed for awhile so a slow sparge will be a good lesson in patience. ;)

Personally I love your new sig but aren't you making something of a tit of yourself?

Keep it to a trickle and you should be ok.

yeast selection is your choice. 3333 always served me well.

cheers

Darren

Yeah I'm an exponent of the ol 3333, its a great strain thats served me well too, but this summer i've got 4 splits of 3068 for a change.
I'll post updates as I go for the curious.

with 25 kg of wheat and this yeast strain it could be a long wheaty summer(life's tough :lol: ) b4 i crank out the TT yeast for a bitter.

100% wheat malt recipe.
I would add a hand full of rice hulls (gulls), for piece of mind.
I usually do a 70/30% Wheat and Pale Malt for my Wheaty's

Cheers

UPDATE

Did the 100% pale wheat only, yesterday.
mashed @ 66c for 90 mins with a 3.2litres per Kg.
Vorlaufed and cleared very quickly(particles).
Slow sparge with out any probs on first runnings,no sticking at all.
got a little more from the sparge than expected as the wheat only grist doesn't seem to retain as much as a barley grist(no husks to soak it up maybe :blink: ).Packs hard in the tun though.

No hydro(busted)readings, but a trial taste b4 boil proved to be very sweet(mid 1040's from previous tasting and hydro reading comparisons).Talk about rough science :rolleyes:

Anyway its in the fridge bubbling madly away @ 20c,so all is good!

more updates @ bottling and beyond.

Thanks for the tips Darren :beer:

Definately keep us posted Brau.

Im interested on how it tastes. Even though ive never tasted a decent one. Its making my mouth water thinking of a nice Wheaty beer.

as Gough sez, "top darts" Brauluver.

U make an old wheat-luver proud. Would be great to get tasting notes, and any extra brew tips.

Sounds like U did it all by the book and should expect a great result. Hopefully not XS phenolics as it all wheat. I'm sure U will let us know.

Beerz
Seth :p

Sounds like U did it all by the book and should expect a great result. Hopefully not XS phenolics as it all wheat. I'm sure U will let us know.

Beerz

Not sure whose book, but anyway notes and updates are my forte, so be attentive!
its a dunkleweizen after this with 60/40 base of wheat and wey Munich II, with a touch of carafa 2 for colour.
This one is crankin out some super sexy banana esters at the mo and has a Krausen that is at a mark 5 litres above the wort @ 18 c...Whooeee....

Not sure whose book, but anyway notes and updates are my forte, so be attentive!
its a dunkleweizen after this with 60/40 base of wheat and wey Munich II, with a touch of carafa 2 for colour.
This one is crankin out some super sexy banana esters at the mo and has a Krausen that is at a mark 5 litres above the wort @ 18 c...Whooeee....
I meant the book of experience. You know...mash low, thin mash, slow lauter, ferment under 20C.

Today, I'll be pitching a 1 litre starter of W3068 into a batch of Dunkelweizen (with 300g Carafa I, oops). Should be good. Will stick to the rule of 30, this time, and see if it works OK.

OK ,Update time!

Bottled today after 13 days in primary.It went crazy and threw a BIG fluffy krausen or the first 5 days and then settled down to a gentle ,but longer than anticipated(steady) fermentation(10 days). the last 3 were spent @ 4c to aid flocculation.Bottled straight from primary,as is my method.First bottle was cloudy but the rest were clear in the tube.

Tasting at bottling(18c): the apprentices(7 and 5) were asked first off for an opinion.# 1 says that he got a bananaery fruity taste,that # 2 agreed was there as well.# 2 also commented on the tangy finish after swallowing.Neither thought that it was a bitter finish.

My impressions are a dominant banana up front on the nose.banana up front on the palate with a faint hint of other esters( maybe clove and vanilla) in the background.Body is medium to thin (without carbonation) and tending towards dry, without any astringency.Finish is tart in a wheaty sense with a faint lemony tang from the hops.Bitterness (20 IBU) is OK, but up front.At this stage it is shaping up as a nice hot day Quaffer,but seems a little out of balance without the barley malt to "sweeten" the flava profile and flesh out the body a little.2 of the 15 longnecks were primed with light DME instead of dex to see if any obvious differences are noticable.

Tomorrow is dunkleweizen day!

More updates to come as carbonation occurs.

OK ,Update time!

Bottled today after 13 days in primary.It went crazy and threw a BIG fluffy krausen or the first 5 days and then settled down to a gentle ,but longer than anticipated(steady) fermentation(10 days). the last 3 were spent @ 4c to aid flocculation.Bottled straight from primary,as is my method.First bottle was cloudy but the rest were clear in the tube.

Tasting at bottling(18c): the apprentices(7 and 5) were asked first off for an opinion.# 1 says that he got a bananaery fruity taste,that # 2 agreed was there as well.# 2 also commented on the tangy finish after swallowing.Neither thought that it was a bitter finish.

My impressions are a dominant banana up front on the nose.banana up front on the palate with a faint hint of other esters( maybe clove and vanilla) in the background.Body is medium to thin (without carbonation) and tending towards dry, without any astringency.Finish is tart in a wheaty sense with a faint lemony tang from the hops.Bitterness (20 IBU) is OK, but up front.At this stage it is shaping up as a nice hot day Quaffer,but seems a little out of balance without the barley malt to "sweeten" the flava profile and flesh out the body a little.2 of the 15 longnecks were primed with light DME instead of dex to see if any obvious differences are noticable.

Tomorrow is dunkleweizen day!

More updates to come as carbonation occurs.

:eek: Hows the head on that bad boy mate?

OK.....6 days in the bottle here goes a taste.
Satisfying hiss when i crack it.

Pours with a big fluffy head and a very pale gold colour.
Aroma is typical wheat ,all ester .banana ,bubblegum and a faint whiff of cloves.
Haze is minimal for a wheat.
Mouthfeel is medium with a wheaty dryness in the finish, but still round enough to satisfy.
Banana/bubble gum flavas dominate up front with a zesty/tangy wheat flava on the finish.

All in all I would call this a stereotypical weizen in a schofferhofer sense.Looks smells and tastes so similar,except the finish is a little more tart and quenching.
Will be interesting to see what a couple of weeks conditioning adds to it.
Totally happy with the result(so far),and pleased to see that like most weizens young and fresh is always a pleasure.

this sounds great. i like the idea of a really tart wheaty beer. maybe a good idea for a berliner weisse?

this sounds great. i like the idea of a really tart wheaty beer. maybe a good idea for a berliner weisse?

It could very well be.
Its a weizen through and through ,just without that barley sweetness and fullness,and the wheaty tang amplified by 25%.

Back