100% Vienna Malt Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim_Levet

Reaction score
I have some JW Vienna Malt that seems pretty nice & tasty to munch on while I am stuffing around with the roller spacing on my Barley Crusher. I am thinking of a 100 % Vienna grain bill, I may lightly toast 400g's of it also. Probably fuggles all the way as there is no shortage of that here at the moment & some WLP 023 to fire it up. Any thoughts or comments from those that have attempted such a beer would be appreciated.
James

I've not made, but I've had a 100% vienna beer - This was a bavarian style lager pretty much a standard "festbier" really. Nice. Malty and from what I can gather on some German sites, a reasonably common malt bill.

Dunno how that will mix up with fuggles, probably well I'm guessing.

Big malty beer. An ale yeast I assume??

TB

I brewed mine with 100% Vienna and Swiss lager yeast, I didn't get the big malty hit I thought I would. Next time I would go some munich malt as well.

JL, no more than 70% of the JW Vienna. It is pretty full on for body. Weyermann or any other Euro Vienna is OK at 100%

Wes

Just be careful using Australian (or British) Vienna.
Weyermann Vienna can and is used at near on 100%, in fact Ray Daniels designed an APA using 95+% Vienna.
Thirsty Boy is right about the festbier style, it goes really well with German Vienna as the base malt. German brewers are happy to use Vienna as a base malt but in Australia and Britain it is viewed as an adjunct and malted with this in mind.
Trust me, I have used both.....
K

JL, no more than 70% of the JW Vienna. It is pretty full on for body. Weyermann or any other Euro Vienna is OK at 100%

Wes

Thanks for the input gents. I have some flaked barley, so we are looking at 85% Vienna, 10% flaked barley, & 5% crystal. 66degrees C for a 90 min single infusion, whilst I take the dog for a walk. I must remember to put my clock forward for an early mash in. I was headed to 70%, but 25% flaked seemed a bit much.
James

I used Weyermann Vienna as the base malt in a stout years ago......... it was fantastic!

I have heard that the Australian vienna is a bit more full on than the german one, but i have not used the Aussie vienna to compare.

I dont think i ever will. The weyermann malt is just too nice.

cheers

JL, drop the FB and add sugar to dry out the recipe. That JW Vienna will still give you heaps of body.......

Wes

Thanks for the input gents. I have some flaked barley, so we are looking at 85% Vienna, 10% flaked barley, & 5% crystal. 66degrees C for a 90 min single infusion, whilst I take the dog for a walk. I must remember to put my clock forward for an early mash in. I was headed to 70%, but 25% flaked seemed a bit much.
James

JL, drop the FB and add sugar to dry out the recipe. That JW Vienna will still give you heaps of body.......

Wes

OK so I have 6kg of JW Vienna, & 300g of JW Crystal to go in the mash tun & 700g of CSR's finest to go in the kettle. I found some Targets that were in the wrong freezer, so that will take care of the bittering.
I have put my clock forward already, can't wait.
James

That sounds nice JL - let us know how it turns out.

Wes and DrK - good advice about the difference between Aussie and German Vienna, It wouldn't have occurred to me and I have been considering a beer with a close to 100% vienna bill for a while - I shall make sure I use the Weyermann version now. Thanks

TB

Definitely do that, TB. I was given some JW Vienna a while back and decided to do a mostly Vienna APA with it as an experiment. All I added to the grain bill was a touch of crystal and melanoidin for body ;) . It was most definitely too much body and verging on the cloying. It was helped by the fact that there were plenty of hops and the yeast was a second generation slurry which helped it finish quite low. Happy to have tried it and the beer was drinkable but certainly not a malt I'd rush to use as a base malt from that experience.

Anyone care to post their recipe for a Vienna APA. I've got a bag of Weyermann here that I need to chew thru. I liked it 50-50 with Pils in a Vienna Lager.

I've just started drinking my Vienna Lager.

Made up with essentially Powells Vienna and some light crsytal, hopped with plenty of Hallertau and fermented with S-23 for 10days. Didn't bother cold conditioning.

End result is a really nice beer, less body than expected, thick long lasting head, wonderful aromas. Would certainly repeat this one, maybe even chuck in some Munich.

Latest posts

Back