100 litre 3v electric brewery build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
Been wanting to build a 3v for quiet a while now. Finally getting around to doing so.
I'm building a 3v 50amp full electric brewery.
I'll be using a BCS controller to control the process and going to automate as much of the process as possible for ease and repeatability.

The 50 amp panel from ebrew supply is on its way. Full diy 4 x 5500w elements with the BCS 462.

The build is still in its infancy so id really appreciate any info or suggestions on parts and system configuration.

I also have the 3x 114 litre ss kettles.

Cheers

Attachments

• 1501829161118.jpg
    1501829161118.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 923
Has anyone been using the new 50 litre per min mag pumps from keg king?
How are they? Are they quiet?

Aaand that explains the name.
More Building to come

Attachments

• 1501942631901.jpg
    1501942631901.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 755
Sounds really cool. You'll need frizzier head than mine for good advice though. I wish I had a 50A circuit. If we get another 2 years on our lease I'll install a 36A one, hopefully.

Very nice kettles mate. Good luck with the build.
4x elements, wow that's going to be a lot of power. 2 in HLT and 2 in BK?

Yeah mate. The idea is to get up to temp as fast as possible to lessen brewday time.
Should have no trouble boiling with 1 element once up to temp.

I've got a build thread in the diy section for a similar build.

What coil are you using? I assume herms?

The bcs is fantastic and money well spent, are you going to use actuated valves? I've got some 1/2" valves to sell if you are.

I went a 170 pot and can Carefully push out 130L, I think you will struggle to get 100L if your kettle is <130. You could make it concentrated and dilute when pitching to squeeze more out.

What elements are you using and how are you fitting them?

I'm using the 5500 watt ripple stainless elements from ebrew supply. They sell a kit to fit them with a weldless fitting and a junction box.
I would prefer to go with the triclamp ebrew has but I don't have a tig welder.
I can weld ss tig pretty good and am thinking of going all fully welded once I have a proper workshop setup. Until then ill use weldless.

The bcs is fantastic and money well spent, are you going to use actuated valves? I've got some 1/2" valves to sell if you are.

I went a 170 pot and can Carefully push out 130L, I think you will struggle to get 100L if your kettle is <130. You could make it concentrated and dilute when pitching to squeeze more out.

I've done 100 litres in the 30 gal ss kettles no worries.
It's a tight squeeze but I get 105 litres after boil.
Probably struggle with a 90min boil.

Yes I got a herms coil for HLT.

I'm not sure how automated to go just yet. Still trying to decide.
Are your valves dc ball valves? I would need about 10 to 12 valves for the system.

Are your valves dc ball valves? I would need about 10 to 12 valves for the system.

Yep DC, I have a transformer in my control panel for the valves...they are 12VDC.

I have a couple of 3 way valves in my setup which has reduced the total count, I have 7 from memory (3 x 3-way)

I'm following your build as I'm doing something similar.
I've got the 30A control panel from The Electric Brewery that utilizes 3 x pid controllers & a separate timer. Amp & Volt meters for an extra bit of wank factor, not essential but it looks good.
It's a little less automated than my old Rims pid but has the advantage of power selectable input in manual mode. Much better for controlling my boiling power percentage. Like you, I'm going with 5500w elements but only 1 in the HLT & 1 in the boil kettle. I'm using the Auberins SYL-2352 pid's for the build. The ebrew supply website looks good.

Yep DC, I have a transformer in my control panel for the valves...they are 12VDC.

I have a couple of 3 way valves in my setup which has reduced the total count, I have 7 from memory (3 x 3-way)

Yeah ok. I'm definitely going to have 3 way ball valves.
I'm half thinking just to go manual and then add automation if I want.
Get the system working and learn the ropes with the BCS, then decide how far I want to go.
Thing is, I only really want automation for repeatability and would be nice not having to throw valves etc.
Talking to a few guys on homebrew talk, it's looking quiet difficult to be able to fly sparge automatically.
I really want volumes and gravity to be always accurate. I also want efficiency high and a 3 to 4 hour brewday with a simple clean up.
Sounds like a pipe dream now but I'm in deep and I really want to get it done. Might take a while though.

FYI you can get 3 way hygienic valves if you fork out some more $$. I have a couple for a current build and was impressed with how well the seal and easy they are to clean. Search plug cock valves on Geordi's site. They only have a manual option though
Interested to see how far you take the automation as I have had the same thoughts on previous builds but always reverted back to basic automation of temps, flows and timers only.

The only fully automated BCS home rig I've seen was JonW on HBT his second iteration actually uses two BCS (the second BCS runs the CIP process and fermenters). But reducing valve numbers by using three ways should get you across the line just using the one BCS.(he ran out of outputs)

The only fully automated BCS home rig I've seen was JonW on HBT his second iteration actually uses two BCS (the second BCS runs the CIP process and fermenters). But reducing valve numbers by using three ways should get you across the line just using the one BCS.(he ran out of outputs)
Nice link, I see now what you were talking about with getting extra air to the KK burners! After some testing last week I was going to try simply open up the inlet slots a bit firs but loosk like they were designed as low pressure and KK sell them as med/high pressure so gonna need more air as we saw at the case swap.

Nice link, I see now what you were talking about with getting extra air to the KK burners! After some testing last week I was going to try simply open up the inlet slots a bit firs but loosk like they were designed as low pressure and KK sell them as med/high pressure so gonna need more air as we saw at the case swap.
Did the research, this fan should get the job done and local, use a trim pot or similar to control fan speed.

You can automate the sparge using a blichmann sparge arm and a float switch in the HLT and/or BK to end the process. That's my plan I just haven't gotten around to it.

Once I do that I'll have automated from dough in to running into fermenters. I haven't bothered yet and not sure I will to be honest.

i can open up my bcs access for you to take a look at if you like. Will just disconnect everything so you can't burn the brewery down :)

Got most of the kit today. Was well packaged.
Missing a few parts for the 7 segment displays but everything looks to be there.

Attachments

• 1503032447347.jpg
    1503032447347.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 427
Back