10 Most Important Things To Make Better Beer!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way Dr Cone explained it on the HBD is that after 18 hours the yeast consists of older generations with crater marks on the cell walls where they have budded off daughter cells. These crater marks are bad as the cell cannot control what leaves or enters through these craters.

The second aeration allows the cells to generate the sterols and fatty acids to repair their cell walls.

I have a barley wine in primary these last 18 months. I forgot to give it the second aeration. Pitching more yeast since has attenuated it only a little more. I keep it to remind myself to aerate big beers twice.

JM

QUOTE(Pedro @ Feb 21 2005, 11:15 AM)
Some people say to re-aerate your wort at 14 to 18 hours, but there seems to be a lack of credible information about this. If someone could post some definite information on this (preferrably from commercial sources), it would help clear this up.

QUOTE(Jovial_Monk @ Feb 21 2005, 04:35 PM)
The way Dr Cone explained it on the HBD

JM

Have you got a link to the digest on the HBD that contains this info (trying to search for yeast and cone on HBD gives too many hits)?

Pedro

My previous alias was King of the Harpies.

Been a while. In the interum I have been appointed as the Continuing Education Director for the BJCP. So I was reading back through the responses and have a few myself.

I dont know how I missed the sanitation!? hehehe Thats #1 ok...#1, make sure everything is spit-spot clean. Even if you have a bad recipe your beer will still be drinkable.

As for oxygenation. It is nearly impossible to over oxygenate your wort, even with pure oxygen. I use is b/c a 20 sec blast will be good for any beer, no matter the gravity. Just make sure that you have enough active, healthy yeast. Dont mess around and play games with oxygenation after 12-18 hours. You will have plenty of O2 to get the yeast going.

Pedro, I know the information is on the HBD. I have tried to search it to give you the link you asked for but after 2-3 hours of reading the many many hits on "Clayton Cone" I am afraid I just gave up.

I will email Lallemand direct.

re aerating with pure O2, the wort will only hold so much oxygen in solution, the rest just goes into the atmosphere.

Jovial Monk

Not sure if this is what you after Pedro but hope it helps.

For your interest. The best time to introduce oxygen into the wort is on the second day of the fermentation.
Dr Cone from Danstar FAQ

Commerial example:
The BRAKSPEAR FERMENTING ROOM houses six square fermenters lined up along the room, and up in the roof you can see two circular vessels. This arrangement of vessels is called the double drop system. It is Brakspears unique system of double drop fermentation that gives the Brakspear beers their unique character.

The cooled beer coming from the brewhouse starts its time in this room in the top-fermenting vessel. In here, fermentation starts and the yeast starts to grow and turn the sugars into alcohol (ethanol), carbon dioxide and a range of other subtle flavour compounds. After 16 hours the beer is then allowed to fall naturally into the vessel below. In the process any protein or solid material is left behind in the top-fermenting vessel. In addition the beer is gently aerated.

Wychwood Brewery

As Brad has already pointed out, the correct amount of oxygenation depends on the yeast strain and at what stage the yeast is up to. If you have pitched truckloads of yeast in a healthy condition, any extra oxygen may be detrimental. Determining the correct level of oxygenation is beyond the scope of a homebrewers instrumentation.

What we have determined is that oxygenation is important.

Nonicman, thanks for the link. Do you know what sort of yeast this is in reference to?

JM, you have quoted from HBD, but cannot give the link, which means we cannot put your comments in context.

QUOTE(pint of lager @ Mar 25 2005, 03:56 PM)
Do you know what sort of yeast this is in reference to?
[snapback]50725[/snapback]

The post reads like a general statement for beer yeast as they contain no reference to a particular yeast. This may be the post that JM was referring to as the FAQ contains references to HBD and looks like a cut and paste job from that forum.

It looks like it, Nonicman.

Bloody good compendium of information on yeast.

Maybe blue and Pedro are now happy?

JM

Back