10 minute IPAs are good for school night brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently drinking the first of 2 of my 30 minute brew.
I got good hot break on brew day.
Bitterness is as I expected from a 15 minute addition.
The clarity is as good as any 60min+ boil that I have done.
I used my ale malt and can't detect any dms.
Nothing unexpected to report really.

Been reading this thread with a high degree of interest. Was planning a brew this weekend, was thinking of an IPA so have 5.2 of pale and .5 of golden. Original plan was to try a protein rest, to practice for my second hefe attempt. But given I want to brew two weekends in a row, doing a 30 min mash and 30 min boil means I can get the kids to the beach quicker :)

Thus proving to all that I can brew and enjoy the day with the family.

Update, ran my first batch this morning. I thought I'd outline the times below, in case any other occasional brewer wants to see the time savings.

IPA with 5.2kg Pale and 500g Amber

Today's Brew

9.30am setup, heat water make coffee,
10am - Pour water in cooler close lid,
10.30am - Pour off and re-circulate, drain
10.45am - Add batch sparge water to cooler
11.00am - Pour off and re-circulate, drain
11.20am - Brought to boil
11.50am - End boil start cooiling
12.05pm - at 32c
12:35pm - at 24c (Need to set up a ice bucket and fish pump, that last 8c took 30mins)
12:45pm - In brew bucket in broken down fridge (sigh)
1:15pm - Cleaned up and off out for ice cream with the kids.

I was aiming for SG of 1.056 and hit 1.053 so a little low there. I did use a much more aggressive rolling boil given I had 30 mins not 60.
Whilst I say it was a 30 minute mash, it was more like a 40 minute, by the time I had recirculated and starting draining.

Looking forward to now tasting this brew. I stuffed up with the hops as I was meant to start with 20g of Simcoe and threw in 20g of Amarillo instead. So added the Simcoe anyway, which will put the IBU's up into the late 50's.

Cheers

I SO need to try this. Thanks for all the posts and info guys!

I've done four batches so far, latest two being Joe White pilsner malt, no DMS or any other off flavours, and excellent clarity.

Bribie G said:
I've done four batches so far, latest two being Joe White pilsner malt, no DMS or any other off flavours, and excellent clarity.
Thanks for this Bribie - I got a fairly bit of (Free) JW Pils malt.

I used Maris Otter yesterday, but couldn't bring myself to using a 30 minute mash and boil on it. But I might have the guts to do it on your cream ale in the AG Corona Flamesuit thread. I've got nugget and a spot of galaxy to replace galena.

FWIW, I've just kegged my 30min mild over the weekend and will sample next weekend after it's chilled and carbed. Pretty exited to try it..

Do you think there's a danger of DMS with the continental pilsners?
I just got a big fat bag of Wey Boh Pils & one of Simpson's MO in a BB. Do you think they'd be ok for a 30min boil? Or is it likely it's only the new world malts that are highly modified enough for the short boil?

UK malts such as Simpsons are highly modified. The euro malts used to be poorly modified but in the case of Wey I think thats no longer the case, unless that Bohemian is the floor malted one which is far more traditional.

As posted earlier one thing that's really apparent, and I put it down to the shorter boil, are the spectacular heads in my last few brews. Some sort of protein thing going on I'd guess.

rocky head.jpg

Wow. Now that's a lotta head!
Is it good creamy carbonation in it? Or is it lemonade-style carbing?

Oh, & thanks for the heads-up :ph34r: on the Wey Boh Pils - i think mine is the non-floor malted kind.

Creamy. I don't carbonate heavily as most of my brews are UK style ales.

My 30/30 has been on for 6 days at 16c and down to 1.018 so I am going to increase to about 18c for a few more days. Sample taste seems ok.

I have one bottle left of the original and infamous "School Night IPA" that started this thread.

I think it might be fun to enter it into "Beerfest" to see how it gets judged.

It wont be a winnning beer by any means - but it will be interesting to see how the judges percieve it.

I'm going to give this a go tonight. Looking at doing an ESB type thing with a 30 minute boil.

yep, my brau-clone is ready for a test run so will run a normal 60 minute batch through in 2 weekends. Once that is done and cubed, I will trial a 30 min IPA.

yay for school night brewing!!

Depending on what ingredients I have at home, may even do a UK mild with a 30 minute mash and 30 minute boil. Be nice if I could pump out something decent in a couple of hours.

Finally got around to brewing this morning. One of my kids was sick so boom. Impromptu brew day :) Put down an ESB with a 30 minute mash at 69 and then a 30 minutr boil. All up brew day was 2.5 hours from cracking the grain to clean up and cube chilling in the pool. Will pitch yeast tonight and see how it goes bit so far everything appears to be in order.

Sick kid brew days are always great, although my last one had a few issues.
Daughter pokes head out of door, "Dad I'm not feeling good". Vomits on the dog. Dog shakes herself off all over brewery, side of house, daughter and me. Luckily the lid was on the brauclone during the mash so no added nutrients.
Back on topic - Will be giving this a crack soon as well as turning to the darkside and trying Nochill. Tap water is at 26 degrees with the tank water even hotter given the scorchers we've been having in Adelaide.

Bribie are you mashing & boiling for 30 minutes? Or mashing regular (60-90) and boiling for 30?

Back