10 Gallon Mcigloo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoNG

RIP-FaB (BiBIFaP)
Reaction score
Has anyone used the 10 Gallon "igloo" cooler (round) for their mash tun.? i'm in the position to get a new one for around $100 or a little less (through my bro at Macca's) just wondering if it is suitable in terms of tap thread size and insulation etc.
it apparently uses a push down pressure type lid closure and not the screw on, would that cause any issue with hot fluid inside ..?
I'm going to fit it with the braid manifold... and give it a bash with my first partial.. exciting.!!!

Kong,

Do it. I've got one and I reckon they're great. No real temp loss and plenty of room for your biggest batches. :super:

PM me if you need any help.

Here's a pic of mine.

Warren -
(BTW $100 is a good price)

ICAM0012.jpg

Warren....Thats the one..!
although mine will be yellow and red with a beautiful big "M" on it..!! :D

i just put my order in... $90 too..!!!!

what kind of manifold system do you use.?
maybe i'll PM you when i have the cooler in my posession. :beer:

KoNG,

I don't use a manifold as such. I use a Phil's Phalse Bottom. Modified slightly, has a copper pipe bent to hold it firmly on the bottom. I just do it up finger-tight with a compression fitting.

$90 bucks!?! Not bad at all. B)

Warren -

Does anyone know the best place is to purchase these types of eskies - info regarding Sydney would be great. What generally is the normal buy price?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Warren, im currently in the process of getting together bits and pieces for my mash tun (so far i only have the cooler) and the picture of yours is exactly what i had in my head, just a few questions, the ss phalse bottom, is that the 10 inch one? Also im hopeless with harware could you pls send me a list of what kinds of nuts and threaded pipes etc... that i would need to ask for at bunnings?

Hopsta,

IIRC it is a 10 inch. I will measure it later.

Not totally familiar with the names of the parts. I managed to figure them out by wandering around Bunnings with a mental picture of what I wanted at the time. Took me about an hour.

These days I can find the parts in a couple of mins.

Would be best explained by Sosman's post. There's a good pic of the bits. Print it out and take it with you. Will serve you well.

Kettle Tap Sources

Warren -

Hopsta,

Just measured the FB it's a 12 inch not 10 like I stated earlier. Sorry about that.

Warren -

Back