10% and higher on kit beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigtwist

Reaction score
I wana make a very high % beer mainly just because I can ! What's people's experiences with high % beers and what's a good recipe for a k&k Brewer
Tins off the shelf and fermentables from lhbs

........... And GO !!!

Is there a style you're trying to replicate, or do you just want some rocket fuel to get well and truly Brahms and Liszt on?

I made a ESB abbey ale recepie from their website that ended up about 9% and it was surprisingly drinkable and tasty.

mongey said:
I made a ESB abbey ale recepie from their website that ended up about 9% and it was surprisingly drinkable and tasty.
I also made this one and it was a cracker.

Make sure you choose a yeast strain that is up to the task and either pitch a huge starter (liquid yeast) or use an extra pack or 2 if using dry yeast.

Search for Toucan (or Twocan) and there is a good thread on using multiple cans in a single batch. You would want a 3 can to get around 10%. Dark beers such as an Imperial stout will be the go and they can support the big bitterness you will get from using 3 tins. Also be prepared to give it plenty of conditioning time in the bottle for it to smooth out. Use loads of good yeast like Shacked suggested and make sure you have temp control or you will end up with 20 odd litres of migrane inducing metho.

2 cans stout, a kilo of DME, add 200g dex on day 4, 6 and 9.. 18liters... LOTS of yeast and a fermenter with loads of head space.. aerate LOTS over the first 12 hours

Just interested to know why you need to add so much yeast for a stronger brew? Shouldn't the excess sugar just make the yeast start working faster?

No, there are correct pitching rates which relate to OG type of beer (ales/lagers) and volume.

Underpitch and you'll develop lots of issues and probably a really bad headache.

There are pitch rate calculators about which get you close enough. General rule of thumb though is anything above 1.050/60 = 2 packs of dry yeast or a starter for liquid and add another pack/vial for every 20 points thereafter.

Get familiar with the calculators though and you quickly develop a feel for it.

Back