10.30 Tonight on Mate, Mega Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo2234

Reaction score
FYI

With over 133 billion litres consumed a year, the world
consumption of beer is enough to have you staggering. Go behind the
scenes and witness the complexities of the volatile brewing process and
how this ever-popular beverage is nurtured, coaxed to maturity and kept
in check to quench the thirst of a world craving more.

then Family guy on 7 at 11.30!

Looks like the kegs will be empty by tomorrow morning! lol

We were watching Blu-ray the Dark Knight Rises. Sad about that - nearly 3 hours of disjointed confused mumbled crap although excellently rendered crap, a bit like VB really.

Edit: watching the Fifth Element tonight, now THAT'S a film.

stayed up to watch it,, as soon as it came on, fell a asleep?

was it any good? should I download it?

Stayed up watching Iron Man. Clients' job required me to watch the trailer on loop for 8 hours. Had to get it out of my system ;)

It was about bud.

It was no great, but I didn't know they used rice OR that once it was fermented (and soaked on deflavoured beechwood) that they pushed wort back into the tanks, making it start the ferment again.

I fell asleep too haha

I did get the first bit where it went some thing like....."beer being made for 100's of years from malted barley rice water and hops"
maybe it was just my mind way of saying rice???? that's it bed time!

The beechwood ageing process was interesting, I never knew Budweiser used this. The idea is after about 6 days of fermentation, the beer is transferred to lagering tanks that have had boiled beechwood chips (large curls of thin beechwood) spread all over the bottom of them. The idea is not to impart any flavour from the beechwood into the beer (hence why the wood has previously been boiled), but more to allow the yeast a lot more surface area to settle on, so as to have more yeast cells in contact with the beer to help remove off flavours, such as acetaldehyde and diacetyl. So basically the wood is being used to speed up the time it takes to lager the beer. Interesting....I'd never heard of this before.

Managed to catch most of this.
They make mention of this "beechwood aging" on the label/carton of the beer - though it gives the reader the impression that beechwood barrels are used.
For a beer without a great deal of flavour, they do goto a lot of trouble, you'd have to say.
It was good too see how in-depth they went into the processes though - like their own maltings and what not. Actually thought it was quite a good program; despite Anheuser-Busch being such a huge corporation.

Back