1 Can Coopers Ipa + Any Other Ingredients You Wanted = What Would You

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slash22000

Stereotypical Lupulin Addict
Reaction score
G'day all,

I'm still trying to work my head around the IPA angle. I've done the Google dance, but it seems like it's an intensely popular style amongst homebrewers and everybody in the world has their own little tweaks and tricks. I've made one brew with this can before but after adding gelatin in the keg it seemed to drop out a large amount of the hoptastic flavours, so I don't think I'll be doing that next time.

I've recently started working with specialty grain etc and I'm looking to revisit dat IPA.

At home I have the following: Coopers IPA can. grains = a shitload of pale crystal, a shitload of medium crystal and about 500g of Caramunich II. Hops = some citra, some cascade and some EKG, maybe about 30g left of each.

However, I am looking at trucking up a new bunch of ingredients so I am looking for hop recommendations, yeast recommendations, grain recommendations, the whole shebang. Any recipe you can give me that includes a can of Coopers IPA, I'm open to suggestion! Two-can brews welcome, high ABV brews welcome! The only thing I can't get my head around yet is all-grain or partial-mash so extract and spec grains are the limit.

If there's a more appropriate subforum, let us know. Thanks in advance guys/girls. :)

1 x Coopers IPA
1Kg DLME
250g Medium Crystal steeped 30 mins at 70C
500g dextrose

30g EKG @20 mins boil up with your steeping liquor.

Maybe 20g Cascade dry hopped after 5 days.

That is what I would do but if you want really bitter up the EKG time 30-40 mins.

I expect you will get quite a few different suggestions so go with one that takes your fancy. Should turn out well.

Dextrose is to boost up the alcohol level a bit.

1 x Coopers IPA
1Kg DLME
250g Medium Crystal steeped 30 mins at 70C
500g dextrose

30g EKG @20 mins boil up with your steeping liquor.

Maybe 20g Cascade dry hopped after 5 days.

That is what I would do but if you want really bitter up the EKG time 30-40 mins.

I expect you will get quite a few different suggestions so go with one that takes your fancy. Should turn out well.

Dextrose is to boost up the alcohol level a bit.

Hi Tropo, if I was to add 250g of traditional ale grain to the steeping process would it be of any benefit, also what yeast would you suggest?

Ta

Brendon

adding a bit of base malt is always a good idea with Cans. Does mean that you have to boil longer etc, but all processes that will hold true if you advance to AG brewing.

You going for an English or American style IPA? This will govern the sort of yeast you want to play with as well as what sort of hops you will want to add. (With Citra and Cascade I'd be going American)

I'd personally up the Base malt to 500g - 1kg + spec malt + Wheat Malt + DME + Can + Dex (small amount. 300g Max) 20g each of citra and cascade at 10 min and DH 10 of each on day 5 of ferment or when the krausen drops

Yob

Hi slash,

I started a thread about IPA which I've just done, I didn't add anything extra this time but will next time. It might have some suggestions you'd be interested in - http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=67174

Also you can brew it to 20L instead of the normal 23L, boosts the alcohol and flavour significantly.

I'll be keeping an eye on this on for ideas next time I do an IPA. :)

You going for an English or American style IPA? This will govern the sort of yeast you want to play with as well as what sort of hops you will want to add. (With Citra and Cascade I'd be going American)

English or American is fine by me but I tend to fall more into the "fruity" side of the hop world when it comes to megahopped brews so American is probably the way to go.

I'd personally up the Base malt to 500g - 1kg + spec malt + Wheat Malt + DME + Can + Dex (small amount. 300g Max) 20g each of citra and cascade at 10 min and DH 10 of each on day 5 of ferment or when the krausen drops

I've never used wheat malt before. What does it add to a brew that "normal" malt does not? Always interested in new things!

I'm confused by the amounts you've given there. You say "1kg + spec malt + Wheat Malt + DME + Can + Dex", but 1kg of what, sorry? I thought you meant DME but then you had DME as a separate ingredient, unless I am just reading that wrong.

Cheers!

1kg base malt + spec grains = Great frshness and flavour. Wheat malt (250g is plenty) will help create an amazing lacing head that is often deficient with kit brews.

:icon_cheers:

Thanks for all the info, This is what I'm gonna do tomorrow night;Coopers IPA 1.7 kit.5 kg LME.5 kg Dex.25 kg traditional ale malt.5 kg crystal maltSafale yeast15g Hops steeped at completion of fermentation (still deciding on hops)
I will steep the grain for 40 mins @ 70c in 3 liters of water, strain and boil for 30 mins.Throw it all in to 20 litres and pitch.When it's finished fermenting I will steep some hops and tip it in. I understand the Dex may be a little too much but I've already brought the half and half bag.
Any feedback appreciated, I'll let you know how it goes in a couple of monthsBrendon

15g Hops steeped at completion of fermentation (still deciding on hops)
I will steep mash the grain for 60 mins @ 66c in 3 liters of water, strain and boil for 30 mins.Throw it all in to 20 litres and pitch.When it's finished fermenting I will steep some hops and tip it in. I understand the Dex may be a little too much but I've already brought the half and half bag.

for the mashing of the base malt I would be bringing that temp down to 64-66 max... as you are adding some crystal malts you will pick up the sweetness (I assume you are wanting) there so bringing that temp down will add more of a fermentable wort.

At the end of the day it's a pretty small amount of grain and I wouldnt get too hung up but you should know what you want from it. 250g of dex is not excessive. Personally unless it's a BIG beer I'd leave it out and use it for bulk priming :)

Dont rule out dry hopping it as well as the amount of hops you are planning to add is also pretty small.

Good luck and enjoy the process

:icon_cheers:

Thanks again. I went ended up increasing the grain slightly .7 kg crystal and .4 ale malt rest as above. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for all your help.

Brendon

Back