1/2" Vs 3/4" Fittings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjparker

Reaction score
I know that the norm is for people to use 1/2" fittings, however I was wondering why that is?

I personally favour 3/4, for no reason other than that is what was on my malley boiler when I got it.

I'm going to be setting up a new kettle shortly, and was wondering if there was any reason to use 1/2" over 3/4"?

Few things that spring to mind
is a hell of a lot cheaper, the cost of parts especially more complex ones like 3-way valves can add up pretty fast.
Most of the pumps and flexible lines (i.e. Silicone) people use are and there is not a lot of point using bigger than required.
As a side benefit, in small systems the smaller plumbing keeps the flows more moderate and easier to control, open a valve on a 30-50L mash tun and you are odds on to pull the bed.
NPT is cross compatible with BSP so a lot of American bits can be cheaply and easily integrated without special adaptors, not the case for NPT and BSP.
Mark

Cheaper for one. Plus more of a standard with hosing and peripherals perhaps. But nothing to stop you sticking with 3/4".
FWIW my recirculating wort goes through 1/4" 1/2" and 3/4" on its journey, purely because of fittings I can't change to be 1/2" anyway.

*edit - good point on NPT BSP compatabilty too. Certainly something I've been able to use in having gear from different sources.

I have used 3/4 on the inlet side of the pump (march 815c). the BSP goes onto NPT with out noticeable damage to the thread.

Latest posts

Back