1/2 Rainwater 1/2 Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Filter my rain water?
You have to be kidding,it wonderful fresh water,way better than any stinky old town water.

Batz

couldn't agree more Batz :beer:

for the SA brewers, here's where I got my food grade gypsum:
http://www.acechem.com.au/ Mooringie Avenue Camden Park (just off Marion Rd)
The bloke I talked to there is a home brewer.
Smallest amount is about $30 but it should last me up until 2025 :)

If the water was pure the pH would be 7, by definition.

MHB

Nope. pH of water says nothing about purity. Water with nothing in it only has a pH of 7 immediately after it comes out of the distillation thingy that made it. As it sits open to the atmosphere, it absorbs CO2 and generates enough carbonic acid to have a pH significantly lower than 7. But even if your tank water has a pH of 8 (cos of cement or whatever) or 5.5 (cos of CO2), that doesnt really mean it is acid or alkaline. The acidity is a function of the dissolved ions, which in tank water there will pretty much always be very little. So a high/low pH doesnt mean a lot of acidity/alkalinity, there is no buffering capacityand the water will immediately go to the pH driven by the mash.

Jimmy Jack do you have a couple flushes (sorry the technical name escapes me at present) for downfall water before it starts to top your tank. That is the first amount of rain goes down the drain whilst most of the dust and crap from your roof is being washed off by rain.

No first flush, but my roof and gutters are pretty clean. I seriously cannot see any nasties coming through a 90 minute vigourous boil. Tasted the water yesterday and it is great tasting compared to town water. I am of the opinion that the final product will speak for itself. I also think that the rain water will be better than recycled poo water, water from hospitals and chemical industrial plants going through a treatment process. I am sure that recycled water is just fine but it is horrifing to think what nasty crap gets recycled. However I still may consider getting a filter for the rain water tank so my family can drink the water as well. TA for all the replies

Cheers, JJ

However I still may consider getting a filter for the rain water tank so my family can drink the water as well.
Heaps of people in SA drink rainwater from the tank, no filter needed but if you feel the need and it makes you feel good, do it.
I'd rather spend the filter money on a decent mill.

No first flush, but my roof and gutters are pretty clean. I seriously cannot see any nasties coming through a 90 minute vigourous boil. Tasted the water yesterday and it is great tasting compared to town water. I am of the opinion that the final product will speak for itself. I also think that the rain water will be better than recycled poo water, water from hospitals and chemical industrial plants going through a treatment process. I am sure that recycled water is just fine but it is horrifing to think what nasty crap gets recycled. However I still may consider getting a filter for the rain water tank so my family can drink the water as well. TA for all the replies

Got the filter yesterday from Rossco. Thanx Ross for the great deal, the next best deal for the same filter was 128.oo at Capalaba. You saved me heaps mate!!! I have it connected to the kitchen sink and the water is so much better tasting. I still do not know if I will us it for the rainwater tank but at least I have that option now. Next Ale I do will be 1/2 tap water through the filter and 1/2 rainwater + some Gypsum.

Cheers, JJ

Latest posts

Back