1/2" Copper Maximum Bend Radius

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjparker

Reaction score
HI,

I've been searching, but cant seem to find it. I am picking up on the weekend the copper to make my heat exchanger for my herms setup. I want to make the coil as comapct as possible, so that I can fit as much as possible in the vessel.

Without trying it, and potentially wasting some of the tube, I was trying to find out what the minimum circle diameter people have achieved is. I'm aiming to get at least 6m of copper in my 8 liter pot, so was hoping to make a double coil, which I wont be able to do if the coil is too wide!

Clueless make sure you got annealed copper!! ive used one of my cornies and wrapped it around that!!worked fine

Get a cheap pipe bender and then the coils can be way tighter than a nuns ....

Have you looked at Gryphons herms coil, it's only about 3m total length but thin enough it seems to transfer the heat as fast as the element can produce it. As a bonus it is a lot smaller than the 8L setup you are looking at.

QldKev

HI,

I've been searching, but cant seem to find it. I am picking up on the weekend the copper to make my heat exchanger for my herms setup. I want to make the coil as comapct as possible, so that I can fit as much as possible in the vessel.

Without trying it, and potentially wasting some of the tube, I was trying to find out what the minimum circle diameter people have achieved is. I'm aiming to get at least 6m of copper in my 8 liter pot, so was hoping to make a double coil, which I wont be able to do if the coil is too wide!

You can get the coil down to about a 120mm diameter with a bender.
You don't need 6 metres of copper, 2m is plenty. More is just needless restriction for your pump IMO.

Thanks for the input guys.

I saw the coil that Nev is selling, and whilst it's nice, my budget doesnt stretch that far.

If 6m is overkill then I wont worry too much about trying to get a specific length in. I'll just coil it so that it fits the pot then, and it'll be what it ends up!

Picking up the annealed coil on the weekend from polyaire. So that parts all good.

Thanks guys.

I saw the coil that Nev is selling, and whilst it's nice, my budget doesnt stretch that far.
With some practice and a pipe-bender you can coil copper (or thin-walled steel) pipe to virtually the same radius as Nev's one (110 to 120mm radius) - you can even bend it enough to fit in a kettle (the major issue being bending the bottom back 'uip' to the top).

I cut mine in 2 pieces & did a small coil about 150mm diameter & the other about 250mm diameter. Gave a plumber at the local aircon mob 4 tallies of homebrew to silver solder them together. Got chatting to him & he even ironed out some on the kinks for me and presuure tested the finished product. Nice guy.

If I were to do it again I'd find some pvc drainpipe the 2 sizes I want the coils to be, wrap the smaller one first, then put the smaller coil inside the bigger pipe then wrap it around the bigger one and just slide it out as one piece.

Latest posts

Back