0minutes Yeast Lag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swinging Beef

Blue Cod
Reaction score
On the weekend, I cropped the 3" krausen of yeast off the witbier that has been happily chugging along from 1050 down to 1015 and hoiked it in to the 1076OG Belgian IPA in the fermenter sitting right next to it.
Yeast took off immediately.
Airlock activity within minutes and within an hour there was a 1/2" krausen over the Bel IPA.

Thankyou Wyeast Ardennes, thankyou.

(No Association)

I wonder if any of our other readers have had similar experiences.
:p

Good stuff SB, I know what Ardennes is but what is a Belgian IPA? Not another specialty style <_<
Is it a BPA with American hops?

Yes, it's another specialty style & an awesome one at that:)

Generally a Belgian golden ale or triple with American hops or lots of noble/euro flavour/aroma hops.

+1 for Ardennes!

Or an American IPA with Belgian yeast.

Yes, it's another specialty style & an awesome one at that:)

Generally a Belgian golden ale or triple with American hops or lots of noble/euro flavour/aroma hops.

+1 for Ardennes!

BIPA?
Is it not well known?

7.6abv 76IBU seppo and euro hops with Belgian yeast
Munich and Pils with some Crystal 120
Yum Yum!

Dont the BJCP heirachary go out?

Belgian IPA is not in itself a recognised style but is considered a Belgian Specialty Ale. AABC 18.5.

Two commercial examples in that category are De Ranke XX Bitter & Poperings Hommelbier, which are both considered to be of the Belgian IPA style.

There are dozens more being brewed in Belgium, America, other parts of Europe & even Australia by both homebrewers and craft/microbrewers.

So I'm not quite sure what your implying? The BJCP is a constantly evolving organisation dedicated to the promotion of beer literacy. Part of promoting beer literacy is defining style guidelines. Every beer you have entered at a homebrew comp & judged at a homebrew comp has been judged according to BJCP style guidelines.

New styles are in part incorporated into the BJCP as a result of what homebrewers are entering which is partly, if not wholely, influenced by what craft/microbrewers are brewing. Back in 2000 India Pale Ale, whether English, American or Imperial was judged as strong ale along with Imperial Stout, Barleywine (no seperation of English & American), English Strong Ale, Strong Scotch Ale. India Pale Ale now has it's own category as a result of it's growing popularity.

So are you implying that there are enough styles already & that homebrewers/craftbrewers should stick to those styles?

SB, that BIPA sounds nice, care to share some more details on the recipe?

Cheers SJ

Poperings Hommelbier
I really liked this beer too.

Like so many others this 'style' exists because people are brewing it, not because the BJCP says it does.
Because people are brewing it, the BCJP says it exists, and tries to put some guidelines around it so people can judge an example of it...

An American take on it is probably different to a Belgian take on it, and why not I say!

Quick edit: I should say, I also like Ardennes for it's versatility Belgian beer wise. It's my go to Belgian yeast because I can re-use it easily across all sorts of beers.

SB, that BIPA sounds nice, care to share some more details on the recipe?
Cheers SJ
you are right.. it does SOUND nice, but so far that is it.
I haven't tasted it.
Last summer I made a munich heavy IPA on US05 and was real impressed at the profile.
76IBU, 7.6%ABV
SO I decided to give it a whirl with a Belgian yeast as well.

4kg munich
3kg pale
.25 Cararoma (130)
.25 Wheat
1kg sugar

20g Galena 75 min FWH 25IBU
20g Chinook 75min FWH 23IBU
45g Northern Brewer 30 min 25IBU
15g Northern Brewer 15 min 2IBU
15g Amarillo Gold 5 minute Flavour
16g Styrian Goldings Plugs 1 minute Aroma
16g Styrian Goldings Plug dry hop for a week

Belgian Ardenne yeast cropped straight from a fermenting beer

Mash at 64 degrees
Ferment around 18 degrees for one week
Add sugar after a week for a week
Then raise temps to 25 degrees

Belgian IPA is not in itself a recognised style but is considered a Belgian Specialty Ale. AABC 18.5.

Two commercial examples in that category are De Ranke XX Bitter & Poperings Hommelbier, which are both considered to be of the Belgian IPA style.

There are dozens more being brewed in Belgium, America, other parts of Europe & even Australia by both homebrewers and craft/microbrewers.

So I'm not quite sure what your implying? The BJCP is a constantly evolving organisation dedicated to the promotion of beer literacy. Part of promoting beer literacy is defining style guidelines. Every beer you have entered at a homebrew comp & judged at a homebrew comp has been judged according to BJCP style guidelines.

New styles are in part incorporated into the BJCP as a result of what homebrewers are entering which is partly, if not wholely, influenced by what craft/microbrewers are brewing. Back in 2000 India Pale Ale, whether English, American or Imperial was judged as strong ale along with Imperial Stout, Barleywine (no seperation of English & American), English Strong Ale, Strong Scotch Ale. India Pale Ale now has it's own category as a result of it's growing popularity.

So are you implying that there are enough styles already & that homebrewers/craftbrewers should stick to those styles?

I was implying, there are way to many styles substyles within the specialty category. Is that fair enough? :blink:

Good stuff SB, I know what Ardennes is but what is a Belgian IPA? Not another specialty style <_<
Is it a BPA with American hops?
Yeah, some american hops.
I really like the strong belgian beers, and was curious to see what this malty IPA I made last summer would come out like.
And dont panic... Im pretty sure BJCP are gonna reject this as a sub category.
Hell, if they did, it would some how become Cascadian Belgian IPA or something scary.
I simply describe it this way so you get the idea about what it might taste like.
Big malty bitter beer with belgian yeast aroma.

I think Haysie might be saying there are too many beers in one single category that are very different from each other, not that belgian IPA should be rejected by BJCP.

I'm basing that on what he wrote in another thread so sorry if I'm wrong.

I had a black belgian IPA at Vic microbrew showcase. The naming made absolutely no sense but it was delicious and all the elements of each bit were there and balanced well.

I think Haysie might be saying there are too many beers in one single category that are very different from each other, not that belgian IPA should be rejected by BJCP.

I'm basing that on what he wrote in another thread so sorry if I'm wrong.

I had a black belgian IPA at Vic microbrew showcase. The naming made absolutely no sense but it was delicious and all the elements of each bit were there and balanced well.

Making one this weekend, fired up an Ardennes this morning, heaps of Uncle Sam hops in tow.

If it turns out ok, it wont be entered in any specialty beer competition :icon_cheers:

I have your bottle container Manticle, I may well post this one back to ya. I seem to think this style may need some time though.

Latest posts

Back