.02 Bac Proposal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris.taylor.98

Reaction score
... is it just me, or should we all be starting to get a bit worried about these sort of stories these sort of stories starting to appear?

While definitely not an advocate of drink driving, I would consider such a move to have a very adverse affect on our favorite pastime, not to mention the many jobs that are supported by sale and consumption of alcohol.

Might be time to dust off the typewriter and send a few a letter or two to your local MP.

i thought WA was stil 0.08? have they caught up?

There's always that type of crap proposals going on. what would be more useful is for them to take notice of the analysis showing that a substantial amount of drink driving deaths/accidents are from repeat offenders. fitting breathtesting starter locks to repeat offenders would do a lot more to reduce the accident/death toll from drink driving than lowering the limit. lets be honest. 0.02 is like half a pot. what a joke.

In the same year, 50 drivers - 28 per cent of drivers killed on Victorian roads - recorded levels of .05 or more.

''We would need to do a fair bit of work on the potential benefits of it, given that most of the drivers who are killed have BACs well over .05,'' he said.

Enough said. I'm all for heavy penalties for drunk driving, but if 0.05 isn't a deterrent for those who are actually responsible for deaths, neither will 0.02. We're turning into a bloody nanny state.

i thought WA was stil 0.08? have they caught up?

There's always that type of crap proposals going on. what would be more useful is for them to take notice of the analysis showing that a substantial amount of drink driving deaths/accidents are from repeat offenders. fitting breathtesting starter locks to repeat offenders would do a lot more to reduce the accident/death toll from drink driving than lowering the limit. lets be honest. 0.02 is like half a pot. what a joke.

More like have you guys caught up with your glass sizes... Pots...

some parts of that don't make any sense.

"'We are still getting a lot of drivers who are well over the limit, so we might need to rethink that (.05 limit)"

i had to laugh, so to reduce the number of people being over the limit, they're lowering the limit.

"but a handful of countries, including Sweden and Norway, have introduced a .02 limit, with stiff penalties for any breaches."

i think the stiff penalties would be what is reducing the fatalities, then again, with two variables who knows. of course knowing our government they'll only implement the reduced limit, find out it's not as effective as they were anticipating and sit around scratching their heads.

you didnt answer the question Kt. are you guys still still 0.08 or 0.05. go 0.08!!!

As Oz points out if they are way over 0.05 making is 0.02 wont make a lick of differance. more revenue raising?

edit:
they come up with all these ridiculous idea for motorbikes and any bike rider can tell you that the ideas are crap and wont work.

Yeppers, I`m with you Chris. Its nonsense. .02 will fill the courts. My son just got his first car last week, and I believe the .00 is great for that age, my reasoning is that a lot would not have a clue how to put there dirty undies out let alone defining .00 .02 .05 .08. For me as a parent I think the laws are great, .02 on a full licence is a tad over the top though.

Well i kind did... we are 0.05 and has being since Ive being in double UA. Which is 9 years this year.

I think 0.00 is a great idea how many times have you being to a pub and only stay for one. To many people drink and drive including myself!

As Oz points out if they are way over 0.05 making is 0.02 wont make a lick of differance. more revenue raising?

they come up with all these ridiculous idea for motorbikes and any bike rider can tell you that the ideas are crap and wont work.

It'd be all about revenue from this little caper, nothing else.

as for the motorbike things you mention...agree, but are we talking about the power to weight (lambs), cuz I hear that gets overlooked, even by the cops when they pull you up...just sayin..

I think 0.00 is a great idea how many times have you being to a pub and only stay for one. To many people drink and drive including myself!
0.00 sux. i quite often go see a mate and only have a couple and drive home under the limit (I invested in a breathalyser and no not one of those cheap crappy ones). im all for the breath tester fitted immobilizers for repeat offenders or for anyone caught drink driving. that will make the biggest impact.

I agree with CM2. I often have one of two beers and am well under the 0.05 and drive home. Those that breach the law should be dealt with, not the rest of us. If they are going to drink and drive, they are going to do it whatever the legal limit is, so lowering it to 0.02 will just hurt the rest of us.

mike

0.00 sux. i quite often go see a mate and only have a couple and drive home under the limit (I invested in a breathalyser and no not one of those cheap crappy ones). im all for the breath tester fitted immobilizers for repeat offenders or for anyone caught drink driving. that will make the biggest impact.

Yeah you are right, I have no self control! :D

If people are caught over here with out a drivers licence the police and compound there car for up to 21 days. When the rule came out last month they compounded so many cars. They went on a rampage the first day.

Quote from article

"In the same year, 50 drivers - 28 per cent of drivers killed on Victorian roads - recorded levels of .05 or more."

That statistic suggests that it is SAFER to drive over 0.05 as 72% of sober drivers died :D

The statistic they never show is how many pill-poppers full of "legal medications" and half a glass of wine die on the road or cause major accidents. The reason, I suspect, is because every politician and police commissioners wife would be at risk of being charged.

cheers

Darren

Quote from article

The reason, I suspect, is because every politician and police commissioners wife would be at risk of being charged.

cheers

Darren

Good Point, ever see Christine Nixon`s old man, :lol:
edit, yes she is retired, but geez her old man was something off the bottom of a Woodstock dam.

I sure hope it doesn't happen. I'm patiently going through 3 years of provisional driving without being able to touch a drop of booze before driving...it's tough when you need to be somewhere in an emergency situation and you've had a drink.

And it seems to me alot of the drink drivers out there don't really care about how many drinks they have. Whether the limit is 0.08, 0.05, 0.02, or even 0.0, alot of these people are gonna go out and have a few beers regardless, and more often than not, get away with it. Whilst its the responsible ones who who will suffer, in a sense.

I dont drive after having one drink but if they bring in 0.02 I could probably be booked on a lot of mornings going to work.

I got my licence before .05 came in, and remember driving around town looking for a party and chucking back tinnies as I went. Got pulled up by the cops and when they opened my drivers door 3 or 4 empty cans fell out on the ground LOL
They told me to clean up the mess and get home, which I did.

The last 12 years of my working life I worked exclusively on personal injury cases from motor vehicle accidents.
During that time I've seen and looked at the causes of thousands of motor accidents, and dealt with the often very severe consequences.

Alcohol was clearly a factor in a number of those accidents, but almost invariably at a level well in excess of the existing limit of .05.
Lowering the limit to .02 will have a negligible effect on the accident statistics, in my opinion.

I don't understand why the politicians always need to trot out overseas statistics in an attempt to justify their thinking. These statistics generally just do not translate to our local conditions, and take absolutely no account of the differences in climate, road conditions, driver training and competence etc etc.

What we really have here are not the politicians feeling all gooey inside for our greater good because, lets face it, generally they don't care about us beyond snaring our vote. It's the output of the uptight selfrighteous "I know what's right for you" mentality of the army of public servants who need to produce something to keep themselves in employment on the public teat.

What they're really aiming at is to make our lives utterly unliveble. We could eliminate all road accidents if we had a ZERO speed limit, but the country would grind to a halt.

The question is "how far are we prepared to let these ignorant clowns go to ruin our lives?"

"Speaking at a binge-drinking forum"

Why wasn't I told!!

If we accept (which I'm sure we all do) that alcohol can impair our ability to both drive and sometimes make reasonable decisions then what is the argument against lowering the limit? "My enjoyment will be reduced"? Stuff your enjoyment. If a beer is all that gets you through then have a think about necking yourself now because that's not much of a motivation to keep breathing in my book. We all know someone (if we aren't actually that someone ourselves) who has sworn they were fine to drive but ended up doing their brief. This story is common to the point of clich - so how many of these same stories end up in an accident where someone is hurt? If the answer is more than none then I see no problem whatsoever with the proposal (as described in this thread, didn't read the link).

Latest posts

Back