0 Mins Additions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afromaiko

Incredibly Strong Ales
Reaction score
Trying to figure out exactly what do to here.

At 0 mins I throw the addition into the hop bag. But then I need to remove the hop bag in order to whirlpool and begin chilling with my immersion chiller. So how long am I supposed to leave the hop bag sitting in the kettle for before removing, or is just a quick soaking of the hops enough to release the aroma levels desired?

I'd leave them in until you've finished draining off the wort after chilling. You can still chill with the hop bag in there, can't you? :)

Only just started whirlpooling myself because of the same reasons. Following from Stuster, try making a hook for the hop bag so it can hang over the side of the kettle but so that you can still put the lid on at flame out. Leave it in there. Chill with the immersion chiller. Then when cool remove the chiller and hop bag and whirpool.

So I should be whirlpooling after chilling then? I have always done it when I first start the chiller going.

That said, last brew I used a new hop sock from Craftbrewer, and I was left with hardly any trub in the kettle, so this time I might not even bother with a whirlpool and just leave the hop sock in as recommended above. I'm off to the garage to get cracking on a brew now, Ross' Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale.. again!

Yeah I think commercial breweries whirlpool before chilling. But I'm sure many of us with immersion chillers do it the other way around. Doesn't matter if you splash then either.

Trying to figure out exactly what do to here.

At 0 mins I throw the addition into the hop bag. But then I need to remove the hop bag in order to whirlpool and begin chilling with my immersion chiller. So how long am I supposed to leave the hop bag sitting in the kettle for before removing, or is just a quick soaking of the hops enough to release the aroma levels desired?

Interested in this question myself. Have always left the hopsock suspended for about 5 minutes inside the chiller after flameout then drained on the side of the kettle whilst agitating the chiller ever few minutes (Brings the temp down faster). Still not sure if this is the correct method for "0" hopping or not?

Used to whirlpool after chilling without much success. Am now using the strainer below (Without a hopsock) which seems to work well with my 70 litre stockpot.
The kettle walls are really not that shitty. Must be the light? :)
Termimesh_Filter.JPG

TP :beer:

If you are steeping your hops whilst whirlpooling then you will also need to figure in a little extra bitterness as despite what promash says additions at end of boil will add a few extra IBU's if you leave them for anything longer than a minute or so. But you will only find it out by trial and error, I know on my system if I am a bit slow in getting the chiller hooked up and leave the whirlpool to sit for 15 minutes then my beers will be more bitter than if it only sits for 5 minutes.

A renowned championship winning microbrewer confided to me once that almost all of the IBU's of one of his beers came from the end of boil "aroma" hop addition!

A renowned championship winning microbrewer confided to me once that almost all of the IBU's of one of his beers came from the end of boil "aroma" hop addition!
I bet this was back prior to the hop shortage, if not I bet its not Amarillo

Latest posts

Back