I'm currently fermenting a saison, grist as follows:
~90% castle pilsner malt
I pitched WLP565 Belgian Saison at 18deg (used a 2.5L starter fermented, chilled and poured off the resulting beer to pitch only the slurry). This has taken me from 1.064 to 1.012 over about 10 days, held at 18deg for a few days then ramped 1-2deg per day up to about 32deg. This was an open ferment following guidance here. It's been at 1.012 for about 4 days.
Problem - I want this thing to attenuate further but I'm too impatient to wait and see if the WLP565 will get started again, moreover it could be finished altogether in which case my saison will not be sufficiently dry for my tastes.
Solution (details not yet settled): I am going to pitch a smack-pack of Wyeast 3711 French Saison so I can achieve better attenuation. In my experience this yeast has always finished at or below 1.000
- The beer is currently sitting at about 32deg. At what temp should I pitch the 3711? I've used it in the range of 18-24deg before.
- I understand from reading and experience that pitching low and finishing higher (temperature-wise) is optimal for many yeast strains. Given the bulk of fermentation has already taken place in this case, is it safe flavour-wise to inoculate with 3711 at a higher-than-normal pitch temp, say 24deg? or should I reduce the beer temp to a more normal 3711 pitch temp like 18deg? Is there any theory/evidence to support either decision in cases where fermentation is close to complete?