Jack of all biers

Beer God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Joined 06-June 15

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:18 PM

My Schwarzbier recipe.

It is a good recipe that I reckon hits the mark for Schwarzbier.  It could drop the Caramunich II, and up the Munich II, but I like a more malty flavour so horse's and courses.

Grain Bill for 25L batch

Malt type                                                  EBC            Amount       % Grain bill
1. Bohemian pilsner malt (Weyermann)         3.5             3 Kg              58.25%
2. Munich malt II (Weyermann)                       24             1.5 Kg           29.13%
3. Melanoiden malt (Weyermann)                  70               200 gm          3.88%
4. Carafa Special II (Weyermann)               1200             250 gm          4.85%
5. Caramunich II (Weyermann)                 110-130           200 gm          3.88%

Mash schedule

(either stepped or decoction): 62C for 30mins, 68C for 30mins, 72C for 10mins

Anticipated OG 1056 (at 80% efficiency)

Anticipated FG 1016 (at 72% attenuation)

Hop additions

Boil time:   90 mins

Amount            Time         Type                       % Alpha Acid       IBU contribution
1. 35g               90min      Northern Brewer        5.85%               17.9
2. 15g               90min      Hallertau Pacific         6.1%                  7.7
3. 14g               30min      Hallertau Pacific         6.1%                  5.3
4. 7g                 15min      Hallertau Pacific         6.1%                  1.3

Yeast

Saflager w-34/70 (Weihenstephan) or similar clean lager yeast

Fermentation

Temp between 10-14C for 10-14 days then lager (cold condition) for 1-2 months

3 months after fermentation commenced my comments on tasting were: 

This beer is exactly to style and very tasty.  Colour is spot on, black in the glass and when held up to the light a translucent black/red tinged appearance.  Could be a little more malty in flavour to my tastes, but very similar to Koestritzer in taste and mouth feel.  Probably a slight bit more roasted grain flavour than Koestritzer, which comes from the caraspecial perhaps, but not over powering at all.

EDIT - for my last brew of this recipe, my OG was 1047 and FG 1008, but my mash temp and sparging were a little off.

Edited by bradsbrew, 13 March 2017 - 09:01 AM.
edit for grain %

#2 mtb

mtb

Beer Bod

• Pro
  • 948 posts
  • Joined 05-January 16

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:31 PM

Keen to give this a go. Assuming those percentages of grain bill are off, as opposed to the grain amounts

#3 Mardoo

Mardoo

Noob What Craps On A Bit

• Members
  • 5,891 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:03 AM

Ha, yeah. I love a good schwarzbier.

#4 Jack of all biers

Jack of all biers

Beer God

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • Joined 06-June 15

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

Grain Bill for 25L batch

Malt type                                                  EBC            Amount       % Grain bill
1. Bohemian pilsner malt (Weyermann)         3.5             3 Kg              25%
2. Munich malt II (Weyermann)                       24              1.5 Kg           29.13%
3. Melanoiden malt (Weyermann)                  70               200 gm         3.88%
4. Carafa Special II (Weyermann)               1200              250 gm         4.85%
5. Caramunich II (Weyermann)                 110-130           200 gm         3.88%

Damn it, can't edit the post.  Yes the amounts are correct and I must have accidentally deleted part of the Pilsner % :unsure: .  It should read 58.25%

Malts type                                                    EBC             Amount                  Percent of bill

1. Bohemian pilsner malt (Weyermann)            3.5                 3 Kg                       58.25%
2. Munich malt II (Weyermann)                          24                  1.5 Kg                    29.13%
3. Melanoiden malt (Weyermann)                     70                  200 gm                     3.88%
4. Carafa Special II (Weyermann)                   1200                250 gm                     4.85%
5. Caramunich II (Weyermann)                     110-130             200 gm                     3.88%

Edited by Jack of all biers, 11 March 2017 - 08:54 AM.

#5 RdeVjun

RdeVjun

Beer God

• Members
  • 2,312 posts
  • Joined 19-January 09

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:12 AM

Interesting recipe and more food for thought for me so thanks for sharing, while this is also timely.
With Schwarzbier base malts my preference has been with the majority Munich II, not Pilsener malt, although in yours the Melanoidin and Caramunich II probably compensates (many good reports on the latter too BTW). It's a fair whack of Carafa II though, are you sure it needs quite so much? OTOH, I suppose it's still sub 5%, no biggie. You want the garnet highlights when held up to the light, should be getting them at that rate.
Not a fan of late hops in the style, restrained for flavour and a subtle hint of aroma characteristics as you have done is fine IMO.
Need to get my digit out and brew a few for the state competition, getting one through to the nats again would be swell. I say this every autumn, but rarely succeed...

#6 Lord Raja Goomba I

Lord Raja Goomba I

Prisoner of Sobriety

• Moderators
  • 4,960 posts
  • Joined 21-May 10

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:31 AM

OT but it looks like a Germanic equivalent grist to my English mild, which does get that dark red black hue up to the light. My recipe is a sure fire stunner so yours should be. Only difference other than UK vs German equivalent malts and the obvious melanoidin is my use of Roasted barley.

I do love kostritzer though.

#7 bradsbrew

bradsbrew

Who's up for a pint?

• Admin
  • 7,399 posts
  • Joined 22-May 08

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:01 AM

Adjusted the grain bill % to OP.

#8 Jack of all biers

Jack of all biers

Beer God

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • Joined 06-June 15

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

Thanks Brad.

All fair comments and no recipe is set in stone and should be changed to suit taste.  Going back to my tasting notes, I find the following comments, so perhaps I may drop 50-100gm of Carafa Special II in the next version.

....have tried two bottles over the last couple of days and this beer is exactly to style and very tasty.  Colour is spot on, black in the glass and when held up to the light a translucent black/red tinged appearance.  Could be a little more malty in flavour to my tastes, but very similar to Koestritzer in taste and mouth feel.  Probably a slight bit more roasted grain flavour than Koestritzer, which comes from the caraspecial perhaps, but not over powering at all....

EDIT - Just a comment, that this is a Schwarzbier recipe and not a clone of Koestritzer.  Whilst I was in Germany earlier this year, I made it to Leipzig where I had the pleasure of reliving old times by way of drinking the local Ur-Krostitzer Schwarzbier.  It is quite a bit maltier than Koestritzer.

Side by side comparison

DSC_2694.JPG

Edited by Jack of all biers, 13 March 2017 - 07:09 PM.

#9 Danscraftbeer

Danscraftbeer

Beer God

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Joined 01-April 15

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

hmm. Never considered the Schwarzbier as a target style but its similar balance to what I have made in preference for a dark something. It was with w-34/70.

I like carafa special as a dark grain.

Reply to this topic