#1 roo_dr

roo_dr

Mini Mash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Joined 10-March 09

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:44 AM

SWMBO has requested a Red Back similar beer on tap at home, so brew #1 for 2017 is going to be an attempt.

Advice / Critique appreciated - doesn't seem to have been much Red Back chat recently!

2.5kg Wheat

2kg Pilsner

250g Vienna

Mash Schedule:

Mash in 37oC & heat to

50oC held for 20 minutes, then heat to

65oC held for 60 minutes, then heat to

78oc held for 10 minutes

Boil 60mins:

8g Magnum for 60mins

25g Saaz at 5 mins

WB-06 yeast - ferment reasonably warm (she loves the banana!)

I've not tried this before - any advice much appreciated thanks!

Attached Files

#2 roo_dr

roo_dr

Mini Mash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Joined 10-March 09

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:34 PM

Brew done, that's one for 2017 already!

Efficiency down to 65% from usual 78%, somewhat disappointing but should still come in at 4.3%.  Will let you know how it ends up.

HNY and happy brewing 2017

#3 roo_dr

roo_dr

Mini Mash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Joined 10-March 09

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:03 AM

Smells great so far!

#4 Matplat

Matplat

Beer God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Joined 15-January 15

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:51 AM

That's quite a drop in efficiency, do you usually do step mashes like that?

#5 Les the Weizguy

Les the Weizguy

Barley Bomber

• Members
  • 4,584 posts
  • Joined 20-November 04

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:38 PM

When making wheat beer, I usually mill the wheat twice. Once by itself and then mixed in with the barley. That usually helps with my efficiency.

I'm a bit disappointed that there are so many Redback threads on AHB, and yet not one is anywhere near definitive. ** Most have no follow-up, so we never find out how the beer tasted. Assume that it was crap and brewer is ashamed/CBF to report results.

Also disappointing is that people seem to be only "making this for the missus". Can people not take ownership to liking the beer I used to like it when it was a new style to the market? Even up to about 10 years ago was OK, but recently the freshness is not there, and soapy dishwater is the main character I get.

Guess I'll have to devote some time this year to this beer (in between trying to recreate earlier successes with the Schneider Weisse clone, which has been well-received in the recipes section) and knowing that I cannot rely on any direct feedback from Matilda Bay (based on experience).

Let the challenge begin!

#6 roo_dr

roo_dr

Mini Mash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Joined 10-March 09

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

Only my 4th brew on the braumeister so still getting the hang of it, and these have been my first step mashes - used to do a single step & mash out in an esky before.

The first Brew I did with the brau was even less efficient, so whilst I'm disappointed it's not a disaster!

Les - I love Redback, but SWMBO specifically ordered it, she's just about to push out our first and wants it on tap. Hopefully this is the first step on the road to a successful, or better, clone of a lovely drop. It's so bloody hard to find nowadays too...

More to follow!

#7 roo_dr

roo_dr

Mini Mash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Joined 10-March 09

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:06 PM

All done, racked to keg for a slow carb with dextrose. Tasted pretty good out of the fermenter, 3-4 weeks and it'll be on tap. Happy days

#8 Matplat

Matplat

Beer God

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
  • Joined 15-January 15

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

Maybe it's the braumeister causing poor efficiency...

I watched a direct comparison between braumeister and grainfather done by time4another1 on youtube. The GF got something like 8ish more gravity points out of the same grain bill.... I was shocked.

#9 roo_dr

roo_dr

Mini Mash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Joined 10-March 09

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

Could be - my first brew on the braumeister was awful, but I've had some pretty good results before this wheatie and my brew yesterday (mostly pale ale with a snifter of wheat) was back up in the high 70's.

I should probably do a bit more reading about mash schedules and understand it a bit better!!

#10 roo_dr

roo_dr

Mini Mash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Joined 10-March 09

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:33 PM

Cracked the keg tonight - it's really quite nice! Good banana, I think just needs a slightly bigger mouth feel. Just need to find a bottlo that sells Red Back to compare now!Attached File  ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1485344013.702758.jpg   450.11KB   15 downloads

#11 bevan

bevan

Brew Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Joined 12-January 16

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:34 PM

Use to drink this back in the 90's with a slice of lemon in the bottle! Loved it out fresh out of a tap at the pubs in Perth!
Think I might have to brew this one in the near future!
Let us know how close it is to the original. Thanks for bringing this up roo_dr!