technobabble66

Meat Popsicle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts
  • Joined 06-March 13

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:23 PM

No worries then.

I personally would up the Biscuit a bit (because it's awesome!), but that's probably more for a regular beer.

Given the different "needs"/characteristics of a Belgian, i'd probably end up leaving as is.

As Danscraftbeer, looks good  ;)

Edited by technobabble66, 16 October 2016 - 10:24 PM.

#22 manticle

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler

• Moderators
  • 24,946 posts
  • Joined 27-September 08

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:41 AM

I think it looks bang on.

#23 RobW

RobW

The Little Abbotsford Craftbrewery

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Joined 06-August 03

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:24 AM

Sorry to say that I have a problem with Ardennes, and think that the phenols are too harsh and unbalanced. Just taste an Achouffe beer and a De Koninck to help you chosse between them. You may prefer the flavour of Corsendonk, which is available as Leuven yeast

Not a problem, it all comes down to personal preference.

I have used the Leuven a couple of times and found it a bit underwhelming - I prefer a more assertive flavour I guess.

#24 Chris79

Chris79

Great Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 18-July 16

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:39 AM

@les where could I buy a single beer of each of those from Dan M? The Little Bottler? If I can get a single beer of those two, I'll buy one!

@techno, like Manticle said I'm doing partials for now. I've got two pots I use. Ones that's really good for 3kg of grain, and another to hold up o 2kg of grain.

I'll just need to choice between wlp500 or wlp530.

Cheers

#25 Les the Weizguy

Les the Weizguy

Barley Bomber

• Members
  • 4,551 posts
  • Joined 20-November 04

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:23 PM

@Chris79, sorry I could not say. Unlikely at my local Dans, but you should check online. Surely there are some companies who look after these styles.

I have not tasted all of the above beers either. Maybe contact your local Belgian Beer café and find where they source their Belgian pale ales. I remember that Canadian brewer, Unibroue (afaik, no longer imported) made some cracking Belgian ales.

I can recommend a local bloke who imports fresh, cool-transported and stored Belgians, if you want to contact me by pm, once I clear a few messages. You should then contact him and see what he has in the style you seek. I have met the importer and he tastes everything as part of the selection process, and loves Belgians.

#26 shacked

shacked

I like beer

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • Joined 07-May 14

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:40 PM

Hey Chris, 

You are in northmead, try these guys in North Strathfield: http://www.platinumliquor.com/ . I've only ever been to the one in bellevue hill but the beer selection was outstanding.

Cheers!

Edited by shacked, 17 October 2016 - 04:41 PM.

#27 Chris79

Chris79

Great Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 18-July 16

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:33 PM

Thanks Dan, techno and Manticle really looking forward to brewing this beer! Especially now with using Beersmith, and getting better at doing my partials!

#28 Chris79

Chris79

Great Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 18-July 16

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:36 PM

@les thanks for all that. I have done a brief search, and I saw Dan's M and Beer Cartel online had some in style.

Hey Shacked, I will check them out too. Happy to buy just a few and go from there :) cheers

#29 manticle

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler

• Moderators
  • 24,946 posts
  • Joined 27-September 08

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:06 PM

I know the distributor Les speaks of and the quality of product and service is top notch.

#30 Les the Weizguy

Les the Weizguy

Barley Bomber

• Members
  • 4,551 posts
  • Joined 20-November 04

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:37 AM

Dive in and brew one, then formulate a new recipe after tasting a few good examples. Good advice for any style. Refine, refine, refine.

#31 RobW

RobW

The Little Abbotsford Craftbrewery

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Joined 06-August 03

Posted 18 October 2016 - 10:05 AM

@Chris79, sorry I could not say. Unlikely at my local Dans, but you should check online. Surely there are some companies who look after these styles.

I have not tasted all of the above beers either. Maybe contact your local Belgian Beer café and find where they source their Belgian pale ales. I remember that Canadian brewer, Unibroue (afaik, no longer imported) made some cracking Belgian ales.

I can recommend a local bloke who imports fresh, cool-transported and stored Belgians, if you want to contact me by pm, once I clear a few messages. You should then contact him and see what he has in the style you seek. I have met the importer and he tastes everything as part of the selection process, and loves Belgians.

I believe the Unibroue yeast is 3864 Canadian/Belgian

They make some terrific beers, sadly no longer available here.

#32 Chris79

Chris79

Great Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 18-July 16

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:34 PM

Dive in and brew one, then formulate a new recipe after tasting a few good examples. Good advice for any style. Refine, refine, refine.

Yes, cheers Les. I will go ahead with my updated recipe. Then, I'll try and get my hands on a few examples, and make some more changes.