Photo

VIC-Xmas 2016 Case-Swap Recipe (Cocko's place)

• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#361 technobabble66

technobabble66

Meat Popsicle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,673 posts
  • Joined 06-March 13

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

Update time!

Discovered (i.e.: read the last bit of the recipe properly) that the correct temp for fermentation is more like 25°C rather than the 18-19°C i originally thought - and needed to maintain to contain the overflowing krausen

So ~2/3rds of the way through the fermentation i started ramping the temp a degree per day up to ~24°C yesterday.

Also did the syrup additions in 2 lots. The first was ~2/3rds through the expected fermentation, SG ~1.030. The 2nd was today, when the SG~1.018.

I increased the syrup addition from 1.14kg total to 1.5kg total (so 2x 750g additions), to compensate for what seems to be a slightly low OG (1.069 down from the expected 1.076) - should add an extra 4 points.

Ideally i would've added the 2 additions a little earlier, say ~40% remaining attenuation rather than 30% for the first one; and the 2nd addition a day earlier to be more like 30% remaining attenuation. These additions were delayed as i wasn't sure if the first one would cause another krause explosion. In hindsight, this wouldn't have been a problem.

Also, when i repeat this i'd start the fermentation ~4°C higher and maintain that, as it's expected to improve the flavour/aroma profile. I guess i'll wait and see as to whether my lower fermentation temps has any significant impact.

Finally, on further research, i also realised that the D2 we're using is a bit lighter in colour compared to the CSI D-180 that the recipe is designed for. I'm inclined to think (/hope!) that this won't have a large detrimental effect on the flavour/aroma, largely because the D2 is from one of the main candy syrup suppliers in Belgium so it's of the highest quality & i'm assuming it'll have all the depth and complexity that we want. The only real difference is our clone might be a little lighter in colour. Also, assuming Westvleteren use D2 or something like it, i can only guess they use a little Spec B or more D2 to achieve the colour of the original Westy 12. Another option to compensate might be to use a little extra D2 for priming - it's effectivelyan extra 100-200g into the recipe.

Hydro sample smelling and tasting fantastic!

#362 DJ_L3ThAL

DJ_L3ThAL

Such rapp, very bass

• Members
  • 2,653 posts
  • Joined 11-May 10

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

Nice work techno, thanks for the update. Key information for those slackers in the group (I'm lookin` at myself in the mirror).

The good news for most of us with this being potentially different to the original Westy 12 is we've never tried one, seen one or will likely have one in the near future haha! I however, do pray every night that one will end up in the International Beer Collector monthly 6-pack.

I shall adapt your advise for higher fermentation temp and had planned on using 2x D2 containers for ease also. For adding did you dilute with 50% water and boiled for 15 mins, cooled then added/stirred as per instructions on the website?

#363 technobabble66

technobabble66

Meat Popsicle

• Members
  • 2,673 posts
  • Joined 06-March 13

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:29 PM

No worries! Yeah, it's not like we have a yardstick to compare with, hey?!

For adding did you dilute with 50% water and boiled for 15 mins, cooled then added/stirred as per instructions on the website?

Yep, did that. Well, i probably added a little less water and boiled for 5-10 mins.

... And if you get one through the IBC monthly pack, i'll probably be visiting shortly afterwards  ;)

#364 DJ_L3ThAL

DJ_L3ThAL

Such rapp, very bass

• Members
  • 2,653 posts
  • Joined 11-May 10

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:38 PM

You wouldn't be able to make it over fast enough!!!  :chug:

#365 technobabble66

technobabble66

Meat Popsicle

• Members
  • 2,673 posts
  • Joined 06-March 13

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:26 AM

Update:

one day later, down to SG=1.014, while at 25°C.

Pretty impressive - down 10 points in 1 day, even when it's already at ~9-9.5% alc.

Tastes even better today!

Easily the best Westy 12 i've ever had*

(holy cow, there's a bit of an alcohol kick to it!)

Sample size of 1   ;)

Edited by technobabble66, 29 March 2017 - 10:27 AM.