104 replies to this topic

#101 Meddo

Meddo

Mini Mash

• Pro
  • 174 posts
  • Joined 30-January 16

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:32 AM

Hi LC, do you mind expanding on "baked to constant weight" please, re the salt?

I've got scales that will go close to that accuracy and access to RO water, and would like to check my two Carlton hydrometers (1.000-1.050 and 1.050-1.100). Any recommendations for blends to check those two against would also be much appreciated  :icon_cheers:

Thank you,

#102 GibboQLD

GibboQLD

Mini Mash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Joined 06-October 14

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:16 PM

* Since salt is mildly hygroscopic, it must be baked to constant weight before adding.

Hi LC, do you mind expanding on "baked to constant weight" please, re the salt?

I believe LC is suggesting baking the salt to drive off any moisture, so that 12g of salt is actually 100% salt and not 11-point-something grams of salt and a small amount of water.

#103 Lyrebird_Cycles

Lyrebird_Cycles

Beer God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Joined 10-July 16

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:34 PM

Yep, exactly that.

The way you check is to weigh the salt and the tray, bake it for a while, wheigh it again, bake it for a while, repeat until the weight stops changing; ergo "drying to constant weight".

BTW you should also make sure the salt is just salt: no "anti caking agent" which is added to some table salts. These are basically clays that absorb a hell of a lot of water.

#104 Michael Burton

Michael Burton

Beer God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Joined 18-April 10

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

Michael,

Has yours turned up yet? I'm keen to hear your review. Very tempting. 

It's arrived in the mail but I've been overseas and haven't had a change to open the package yet. I'll post a video when I get it working.

#105 huez

huez

Brew Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Joined 16-February 13

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

For those interested there is a DIY version gaining popularity in Germany. Probably not as refined as the TILT but is basically the same concept from what i can gather. Looks pretty easy to put together, probably the tube being the hardest thing to find in australia

iSpindel https://github.com/u...cs/README_en.md