#201 Droopy Brew

Droopy Brew

Beer God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Joined 18-February 13

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:38 AM

Mate how do you dry hop? loose or in a bag?

I always prefer loose in a normal fermenter but am concerned that a 150g dry hop in the kegmenter may be too much as the hop matter may be too high and get sucked up by the tube. I have cut 20mm off the original spear length.

My set up is through the original opening so getting a decent size bag in there and then getting the spear back in and the bag tied off to it is something I've been struggling with a bit to work out.

Thoughts?

#202 malt junkie

malt junkie

Beer God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Joined 26-April 16

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

Fishing line

#203 pcqypcqy

pcqypcqy

Brew Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Joined 23-May 15

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

Mate how do you dry hop? loose or in a bag?

I always prefer loose in a normal fermenter but am concerned that a 150g dry hop in the kegmenter may be too much as the hop matter may be too high and get sucked up by the tube. I have cut 20mm off the original spear length.

My set up is through the original opening so getting a decent size bag in there and then getting the spear back in and the bag tied off to it is something I've been struggling with a bit to work out.

Thoughts?

I dry hop loose with pellets.

I did a citra smash in there before christmas, 200g dry hop.  After cold crashing, it seemed to come out crystal clear.  

I too chopped about 20mm off the dip tube.

#204 pirateagenda

pirateagenda

Amateur Brewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 28-October 16

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:21 PM

I have been looking into bigger fermenters until i stumbled upon this thread. I happen to have a couple of old sankey kegs laying around. 

Thinking of doing a simple kegmenter setup using a 2" to 4" tri clover adaptor ( like this http://www.stilldrag...educer-tapered/) from the keg opening, then having a 4" end cap with a gas post, liquid post/stem and PRV drilled/tapped in. Using the 2 - 4 adaptor as i don't think I could get all 3 fittings onto a 2" end cap. 

So should be able to get out of it for around $100 and have something very similar to the keg king jobs.