Photo
- - - - -

Bohemian Lager Yeast (Mangrove Jack's M84)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Goid

Goid

Great Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:43 AM

Lagering is more to drop proteins and other stuff from the beer to produce clearer beer. For clearing up undesirable by products it is better to keep at fermentation temp so the yeast can convert them to better by products. Once the yeast run out of sugars for food they can get there energy from the undesirable by products.

Edited by Goid, 09 January 2016 - 08:51 AM.

#22 AzfromOz

AzfromOz

Kit Master

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Joined 28-February 15

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:24 AM

Lagering is more to drop proteins and other stuff from the beer to produce clearer beer. For clearing up undesirable by products it is better to keep at fermentation temp so the yeast can convert them to better by products. Once the yeast run out of sugars for food they can get there energy from the undesirable by products.

Ok, thanks.

No krausen, no airlock, no condensation.  Will rouse the yeast tomorrow and see what happen, keeping the fermenter at 15 degrees.

cheers!

#23 Bribie G

Bribie G

Weasels ripped my flesh

• Pro
  • 19,286 posts
  • Joined 09-June 08

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:52 AM

Let cling wrap be your friend.
Airlocks are a hangover from the day when home brewers were the poor cousins of wine makers and used similar equipment.

Cling wrap has the main advantage that you can get a good view of what is going on.
In most cases with a bottom fermenting yeast, even if there is no krausen you can look across the top of the brew and see fizzy pinpoints of gas escaping.

#24 verysupple

verysupple

Supremely mediocre brewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 23-September 12

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:54 AM

Lager yeasts are bottom fermenting so that is where they should be.

My lagers always have a small krausen for a few days even at 9 degrees, but that's beside the point.  Even if there is no krausen, there should be yeast in suspension, not just sitting at the bottom.  

#25 AzfromOz

AzfromOz

Kit Master

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Joined 28-February 15

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:10 PM

Happy to report that gravity readings, condensation and, finally, some airlock activity, means I am well down the route of making beer.  Taste test from the gravity reading came up with no off flavours that my untrained palate could detect. In fact I drank the entire sample, which is a first, and now that I think about it, one of the benefits of fermenting a cold temperatures!

Will lager for three weeks before bottle conditioning.

cheers, and thanks for all the advice.

#26 Randai

Randai

Great Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Joined 15-August 14

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:20 PM

So after having done three lagers with this, two marzen's and a pilsner. It has a real sort of grapey tart flavour that I was picking up in it. Not a lot of sulfur in the finished product that I could detect.

Honestly it was quite nice, but yeah definite flavour that I can't describe better than a sort of mild grape + tartish sort of flavour.