#441 cliffo

cliffo

Beer God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Joined 24-July 05

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

For anyone considering buying the new Robobrew with pump, I just bought one from KK's (I think it's them anyway - user "tapped15") eBay store for $522 delivered using a 10% off site-wide coupon - "C10".

I currently have the original non-pump version (which I added a pump too) but I like a few of the new features of this model so thought I'd upgrade.

Will be selling my original Robo and added pump shortly if anyone is interested.

Edited by cliffo, 27 February 2017 - 10:17 AM.

#442 cliffo

cliffo

Beer God

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Joined 24-July 05

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:52 PM

Actually scratch that, it isn't KK.

#443 cammo1au

cammo1au

Amateur Brewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 16-March 13

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

I would avoid the keg king robobrew v1. My screen just got fried after a few drips from my spoon travelled down the side. This tripped the circuit breaker, and it was only the next day i could even plug it back in without tripping the breaker.

Now the screen is fried and kk wont do anything as I bought it through an ebay seller. Bad design and dangerous. No wonder they changed the design.

I dont know how other people have found them, but my experience is not good.

#444 cliffo

cliffo

Beer God

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Joined 24-July 05

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:39 PM

Just watched a RB review on YouTube - https://youtu.be/BzB4m0fKa1k and noticed the display on the review differs to mine (same model) and has a timer function and that the reviewer mentions KK is planning to add a delay timer to the programming.

Does anyone know if the firmware is upgradeable by end users?

#445 BrewRo

BrewRo

Amateur Brewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 15-July 15

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

Just watched a RB review on YouTube - https://youtu.be/BzB4m0fKa1k and noticed the display on the review differs to mine (same model) and has a timer function and that the reviewer mentions KK is planning to add a delay timer to the programming.

Does anyone know if the firmware is upgradeable by end users?

I think the firmware is not upgradeable but they are selling the new circuit to upgrade your system to the have the timer option.

By the way, I collected mine last Wednesday and noticed that in store they have one of the previous models (with pump but no timer) which is a bit dented for $489 or so and they said that it was tested and has no leakage. That's a pretty good price if you don't mind having a dent at the base near the tap. So if any of you is interested you can make a call and verify if they still have it.

Disclaimer: I have no connection or association with them.

Edited by BrewRo, 19 May 2017 - 04:38 PM.

#446 Lionman

Lionman

Brew Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:22 PM

I think the firmware is not upgradeable but they are selling the new circuit to upgrade your system to the have the timer option.

By the way, I collected mine last Wednesday and noticed that in store they have one of the previous models (with pump but no timer) which is a bit dented for $489 or so and they said that it was tested and has no leakage. That's a pretty good price if you don't mind having a dent at the base near the tap. So if any of you is interested you can make a call and verify if they still have it.

Disclaimer: I have no connection or association with them.

Bulk Brewing has them for 499 as a normal price. Mate got one the other day for $479. Free postage in Perth usually for them too although they are out of stock at the moment.

#447 Endo

Endo

Krausen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 10-February 09

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:21 PM

Do you actually need to buy the 12mm compression to 1/2inch BSP fittings for the immersion chiller, or will 12mm garden hose end fittings work just fine?

#448 mattyh77

mattyh77

Great Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Joined 16-December 16

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:00 AM

I've just attached a garden connector to a small piece of hose, then clamped the hose straight onto the chiller.

#449 printed forms section

printed forms section

Beer God

• Members
  • 1,054 posts
  • Joined 04-June 10

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:33 PM

I’ve just used ½ inch brass compression fittings from bunnings

I got ½ compression x ¾ thread so a regular tap outlet screws on.

Pushing the topic elsewhere…..

How’s everyone’s boil rate?

The first few times I used the Robo, I thought the boil rate was good, I thought I was impressed but had never used electric before. It was nothing compared to my old Italian Spiral burner but I thought it was ok.

The last couple of times I’ve not been convinced it has been boiling as hard as it should/did…. It now sits on 103 degrees for the full boil, I have no evidence but I thought the first couple times it hit 106.

Is there a way to measure if it’s working correctly?

Can a sparky measure current or load whilst it’s boiling?

Ideas?

Comments? 

Edited by printed forms section, 24 May 2017 - 02:38 PM.

#450 blakewell26

blakewell26

Amateur Brewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 15-May 17

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:53 PM

I’ve just used ½ inch brass compression fittings from bunnings

I got ½ compression x ¾ thread so a regular tap outlet screws on.

Pushing the topic elsewhere…..

How’s everyone’s boil rate?

The first few times I used the Robo, I thought the boil rate was good, I thought I was impressed but had never used electric before. It was nothing compared to my old Italian Spiral burner but I thought it was ok.

The last couple of times I’ve not been convinced it has been boiling as hard as it should/did…. It now sits on 103 degrees for the full boil, I have no evidence but I thought the first couple times it hit 106.

Is there a way to measure if it’s working correctly?

Can a sparky measure current or load whilst it’s boiling?

Ideas?

Comments? 

Yeah, can put a tong tester on it and see its current draw. But better to use a multimeter and check the resistance of both your elements. See if one is open circuit.

Edited by blakewell26, 24 May 2017 - 03:11 PM.

#451 bingggo

bingggo

Partial Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 22-January 14

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:16 PM

What's the thinking on a good crush size for the Robobrew for reasonably timely sparging: 1.2mm?

#452 Lionman

Lionman

Brew Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:20 PM

What's the thinking on a good crush size for the Robobrew for reasonably timely sparging: 1.2mm?

Add 250g of rice hulls to the grist and it won't matter too much.