#41 Heals

Heals

Kit Master

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 27-November 07

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

OP, I think you should contact an Admin to get a retailer badge, just so that it's clear to everyone that it's not just pure goodwill that made you create your site, but that you also have a financial interest in people visiting it and ordering through the links provided.

Hi Florian,

I have already spoken site admins prior to posting and yes, there are affiliate links on certain varieties pointing to stockists on Amazon - each page that sports these links also contains disclaimers stating exactly that so please don't think I'm trying to hide anything.

I'm certainly not in this for money but from one realistic human being to another, I'm also not interested in hosting websites that can't at least support themselves. I'm sure you understand!

I felt these links were (at least for US-based folk) more useful and less intrusive than just plastering ads everywhere.

Happy to discuss this more if you like.

Your "goes well in a" list seems pretty random.  Apparently "Bullion" is good for a Doppelbock and nothing else - and yet substitues for Columbus?  Super POR is only good for Imperial Pale Ale, whatever that is.  Chinook in a lager?

To be honest most of the information on each hop is pretty useless to a brewer.  I think you will have to spend some more time going through each hop by hand to make this a valuable resource, rather than just regurgitating grower statistics.

If that's what it takes! 

Thanks for the critical feedback though, it's highly useful. Naturally much of the data on the site has been compiled from various sources around the web (forums, growers sites etc) and is still very much a work in progress. I also understand substitutes and style are highly subjective too.

Aside from that, there are some varieties I have heaps of styles and subs for, others nothing so contributions from the community are always welcome. The data is pretty raw right now and I'm sure there are things in there that aren't quite right (I had Galaxy in the aroma hop column for like 2 weeks until I realised the mistake) but it's a start!

The way I see it, the most important info for brewers would probably be the flavour/aroma characteristics, alpha/beta percentages, possible styles and potential substitutes. I'm trying to stick to that core as much as i can. It's also worth noting that this will hopefully end up being a source for growers too, not just brewers.

#42 dent

dent

Under Pressure

• Moderators
  • 1,011 posts
  • Joined 20-June 08

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

What I'd do is make a chart/matrix, with beer styles on one axis, hop varieties on the other, and in each box mark A, F, B as appropriate.  Use that as a tool to clean up your database.  The use of a hop for a purpose is not necessarily the same across all beer styles, so this would catch that.  

For example, you would use Magnum in an IPA for clean bittering, but you wouldn't rely on it for the major flavour/aroma component in that style.  But you could use Magnum in a lager for everything.

#43 elcarter

elcarter

Beer God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Joined 22-July 13

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

You wont hear much about the 100 things that you did well, only the few things that aren't quite right yet.

I for one am suitably impressed.

I'm sure a few edits over time it will end up being quite the resource.

#44 Yeastfridge

Yeastfridge

Partial Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Joined 18-November 12

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

I agree, love it!

#45 Heals

Heals

Kit Master

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 27-November 07

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

What I'd do is make a chart/matrix, with beer styles on one axis, hop varieties on the other, and in each box mark A, F, B as appropriate.  Use that as a tool to clean up your database.  The use of a hop for a purpose is not necessarily the same across all beer styles, so this would catch that.  

For example, you would use Magnum in an IPA for clean bittering, but you wouldn't rely on it for the major flavour/aroma component in that style.  But you could use Magnum in a lager for everything.

Yes!! Great idea.

I think that's something nobody has really done either.

Hows this: http://www.hopslist....hops/748-magnum ?

#46 dent

dent

Under Pressure

• Moderators
  • 1,011 posts
  • Joined 20-June 08

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

I see you have subscripted a couple of the styles.  There is still the original problem, which is the randomness of the selection of styles shown under the hop entry.  I guess there is an issue too where some hops are useful for pretty much every style, for bittering especially - not much point listing every one of them in the hop entry. 

Perhaps the styles are too granular - really as far as hops goes there isn't many categories where it matters - you have pale ale, stout, lager, wheat, belgian, english.  Doesn't matter if it is american IPA, amber ale, pale ale.  Nut Brown ale doesn't need to be called out specifically to match with a hop.

You know, just as important, is what styles some hops are particularly bad for.  Like you wouldn't use Galaxy in a Pils unless you're bloody minded enough to set out to do so on purpose.

#47 idzy

idzy

Beer God

• Members
  • 836 posts
  • Joined 31-October 13

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

Well done.  Haven't spent my time on the site yet, but my first comment is the site is probably getting slammed, as it is a bit slow at the moment.  Taking about 13 seconds to render the home page.

Cheers,

Idzy

Edited by idzy, 31 March 2014 - 07:33 PM.

#48 Yob

Yob

Hop to it

• AHB Sponsor
  • 15,143 posts
  • Joined 14-November 09

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:43 PM

Out of general curiosity, where are you based Heals?

#49 Heals

Heals

Kit Master

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 27-November 07

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

Well done.  Haven't spent my time on the site yet, but my first comment is the site is probably getting slammed, as it is a bit slow at the moment.  Taking about 13 seconds to render the home page.

Cheers,

Idzy

Outstanding avatar sir.

I've had some really frustrating issues with hosting so far. Some things have been fixed, others I still need to look at. Not really my strong point though so it might take a while to get the site totally optimized and speedy. Hopefully it's not too much of a PITA currently.

Out of general curiosity, where are you based Heals?

Glen Iris, Victoria.

#50 Florian

Florian

Back On Track

• Pro
  • 3,032 posts
  • Joined 23-February 10

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

Hi Florian,

I have already spoken site admins prior to posting and yes, there are affiliate links on certain varieties pointing to stockists on Amazon - each page that sports these links also contains disclaimers stating exactly that so please don't think I'm trying to hide anything.

I'm certainly not in this for money but from one realistic human being to another, I'm also not interested in hosting websites that can't at least support themselves. I'm sure you understand!

I felt these links were (at least for US-based folk) more useful and less intrusive than just plastering ads everywhere.

Happy to discuss this more if you like.

No worries, if you're only trying to cover hosting costs then fair enough. I just assumed though that someone with 'Entrepranureal spirit', as you say about yourself, would aim for a bit more than that. I have absolutely no problem with that if that was the case, by the way (don't we all love a good business plan), just always good to set things straight from the beginning so people don't get 'funny' when they realise later on.

Best of luck with it!

Edited by Florian, 31 March 2014 - 10:31 PM.

#51 Heals

Heals

Kit Master

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 27-November 07

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:01 PM

For sure, thanks. Honesty is always the best policy. Appologies if I didn't communicate that better.

Brewing has always been a passion for me so I figured what better way to learn the ropes launching a site than by doing something like this.

Whether you're selling something or not, I reckon the goal online should always be to create valuable content. Otherwise what's the point right? You're just another spammer taking advantage of someone. Hardly fulfilling work!

#52 Spiesy

Spiesy

Illmatic

• Pro - Data Unlimited
  • 3,372 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:05 AM

Outstanding avatar sir.

I've had some really frustrating issues with hosting so far. Some things have been fixed, others I still need to look at. Not really my strong point though so it might take a while to get the site totally optimized and speedy. Hopefully it's not too much of a PITA currently.

Glen Iris, Victoria.

Show some Aussie love, mate!

#53 Not For Horses

Not For Horses

Beer God

• Members
  • 909 posts
  • Joined 28-August 13

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:51 AM

(I had Galaxy in the aroma hop column for like 2 weeks until I realised the mistake)

That's not a mistake. Galaxy for bittering is a mistake!

#54 H0U5ECAT

H0U5ECAT

Brew Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Joined 01-May 14

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:35 PM

I'm actually looking For something like this.
As a new partial mash brewer, it would be easier for me to choose and select a varied selection of hops for my brews

#55 DU99

DU99

Beer God

• Pro
  • 6,595 posts
  • Joined 07-June 10

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

Still missing a few variety's

#56 Heals

Heals

Kit Master

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 27-November 07

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

I'm actually looking For something like this.
As a new partial mash brewer, it would be easier for me to choose and select a varied selection of hops for my brews

I really like that idea actually. Will look to getting something drawn up.

Still missing a few variety's

If you can let us know which varieties aren't there, we'll do some research and add them to the list.

#57 H0U5ECAT

H0U5ECAT

Brew Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Joined 01-May 14

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

How about on that page that has the list, draw up a chart that has the styles plotted on it and can click on each one?
Just a different way to show the styles.

#58 Edak

Edak

BrauShnizzleMyNizzle

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  • Joined 27-December 11

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:10 AM

I thought I would come in and say great list mate. I have bookmarked the site for future reference.

#59 Shaneygrog

Shaneygrog

Kit Master

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Joined 22-March 07

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

Well I got rhizomes from a neighbor 4 years ago and grew them all here in Central Victoria and they were Columbus, cluster, Hall Hersh, Cascade and Victoria. Victoria was the only one that grew well in out acidic hostile soils but do you think I could find anything about this variety here on the wide web? No, till now, thanks mate. Now I know it actually exists.

#60 Heals

Heals

Kit Master

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 27-November 07

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:34 PM

That's awesome Shaneygrog, glad you found it useful!

I don't suppose you have any pics of the cones close up?

Same goes for anyone that has varieties growing at home or on the farm.. Provided you don't mind sharing, I really want to get some pics up so folks can see what each variety looks like.